Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone used Instacart for grocery shopping?

@ValuSkr wrote:

I have not used Instacart at Wegmans but I read their FAQ.  A few things give me pause.  (1) Instacart prices are higher than in-store prices to "cover the cost of shopping your order."  (2) Instacart charges a delivery fee, typically $5.99.  (3) Instacart charges a 5% service fee to "support the Instacart platform."  (4)  The driver's tip is preset at 5% but you can change it at check-out.  (5)  Manufacturer coupons are not accepted.

Sounds like it's probably not for the cost-conscious.

@ValuSkr......(1)  Their prices are not higher than in-store prices.  I shopped at Schnuck's for over 20 years, and that is where my groceries come from through instacart today.

(2)  You will be charged a delivery fee of you are not a member or your order is less than $35.

(3)  This is to pay the shopper.....  When you tip, that goes to the person delivering your groceries.

(4)  Yes, you can change the tip amount....I usually tip 10%.....  That is done when you are checking out.

(5)  They do offer coupons from the store....and you can request they use them....and they do.  

Remember, nothing is FREE.  I am very cost conscious, but this is a definite necessity for me....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@excpa

I used InstaCart several times----when I hurt my knee, and another time when I was dealing with allergies really bad, and another time when I needed that heavy large container of cat litter and jumbo bag of cat food.  

I used the App on my phone---it showed my shopper,  showed shopping progress, I specified certain things on produce, also on milk and frozen items advised to check expiration dates.  Since I work from home I ordered early in the morning and all my items were in stock..Since everything was in stock there were no calls or texts to deal with...They arrived promptly, orders all bagged nicely and my orders were perfect (same shopper twice).....I thought the fee was reasonable and I was a bit generous with my tip---to me it was worth it--because no impulse buying--- I made a list ahead of time and stuck to it......So even with tip and fees I actually saved a little money.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

@Spurt  Yes, that's the norm when you go to CostCo yourself.  But for a delivery service -- and especially one like Instacart that is tacking on fees to each item -- I would expect them to at least come in a carton or bag.  I don't know how the delivery people could keep everything straight from one order to another if everything is all loose and unpacked in the delivery vehicle..  I guess I expected more for the service.

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe   Well, Wegmans' own website says that Instacart prices are higher than in-store.  Wegmans has very low prices, so it's not surprising Instacart prices would be higher.   So maybe it's different with Schnuck. 

And Wegmans own website says that coupons are not accepted through Instacart.  So maybe it's different with Schnuck.

I see that if you're a subscriber to Instacart Express ($149), the $5.99 delivery fee is waived.  The Instacart site says that if you subscribe to Instacart Express, the fee is waived for orders over $35. But you pay for orders less that $35, even with a subscription.

The service fee is 5% at Wegmans, I see it is 10% elsewhere.  An article I read says it does not go to the shopper delivering your order; that it's essentially a donation to Instacart.  However, you can apparently waive the fee and donate it to your shopper.

The tips would really add up over the course of a year.  For example, 15% on weekly orders of $150 would be almost $1,200.

All this to say --  I think the Instacart model varies depending on the deal between them and the supermarket.

Honored Contributor

@BklynKinsey wrote:

@Spurt  Yes, that's the norm when you go to CostCo yourself.  But for a delivery service -- and especially one like Instacart that is tacking on fees to each item -- I would expect them to at least come in a carton or bag.  I don't know how the delivery people could keep everything straight from one order to another if everything is all loose and unpacked in the delivery vehicle..  I guess I expected more for the service.

@BklynKinsey.......I don't believe they tack on fees for each item.  At least they haven't done that to me.  But of course, I don't shop at costco.....

My groceries are delivered in the plastic bags and have my last name on them.  That way the person delivering knows who to deliver them to.  Have always gotten my complete order.

Honored Contributor

Wegmans prices on Instacart are definitely higher.  I buy the same things all the time for my work events and I know how much the bill is when I go to the store myself vs Instacart. 

I also ordered Costco through Instacart for work but I don't know if the prices were higher.

For me not to have to lug cases of water and beverages is worth every penny.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter lives in Chicago. No car. She uses Instacart for the groceries that are too heavy to carry home. When she was sick a time or two it was a blessing. just order gingerale, saltines and chicken noodle soup delivered right to her door. 

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of Instacart---I use Safeway/Albertsons grocery delivery all the time. Also tried Amazon Fresh----I hate going to the grocery store and I hate carrying groceries from my car to my house . I spend an hour making my order online and then it's done. Can add or subtract stuff  and I don't have to carry the heavy bottles either. Amazon Fresh was pretty good too but didn't want to pay a monthly fee. they also have a 2 hour delivery service too.  With Safeway I dont pay any fee. Now this is just for food--but would use a service for other things too. I have had incredible service and very few minor hiccups which I get re imbursed for if needed.

Esteemed Contributor

SHIPT brought my order this afternoon.  Expertly bagged and transported in insulated totes.  She bring them in and unloads them on my kitchen table.  

My favorite luxury!

Respected Contributor

I use Amazon for non-perishible heavy/bulky/catfood grocery items all the time; have used and like Safeway when I was incapicated after a hospital stay for viral infection....it was wonderful and no fees, just had to have a minimum for free delivery!  My neighbor is homebound and she uses Peapod all the time!