Super Contributor

Has anyone used Instacart for grocery shopping?

I made a trial order today and I may never use it again.   It's probably a generational thing.  I'm not into smart phones and texting and found the constant calls concerning my order to be not fun.  I cannot imagine experiencing the world this way.

I may give it another try when my nerves have stopped jangling.

Maybe if I don't turn my phone on...

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone used Instacart for grocery shopping?

I've used it for 2 Wegman's orders. Received an e-mail with the picture of the person who would be delivering my order. Received an e-mail when the order was delivered. One of the items I ordered was not in stock at the store and they instantly refunded the amount of that item.

I would definitely use them again.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I have used it for almost 9 months, paying $149/year membership.  I am always happy with what they have picked out for me, even the vegetables (from Publix).  As far as phone calls, I haven't experienced this.  I have gotten a text when something was not available.  I think I would just ignore any phone calls LOL and wait for them to bring me my groceries.  Please try again.  I signed up when I had pneumonia the first of the year and needed help with groceries because DH was out of town.  I loved it.

I got an email last week asking if I wanted to get a membership from Shipt for $49/year and signed up even though I overlap 3 months with Instacart.  I plan on cancelling my Instacart membership when it expires.

Trusted Contributor

I've used them for at least 20 Wegman's orders and have gotten to know most of the shoppers. They message me if the item I requested is not in stock and I tell them what to get instead or to just ignore. You can leave them messages as to what you want. Anything Wegmans sells is available for purchase, it's not just the items on the website. I specify how ripe I want certain vegetables, it's very convenient for me. I usually order the night before so if I think of something overnight, I can add it to the list.

Hopefully, you'll have a better experience the next time you order.

Honored Contributor

I’ve used it twice and won’t use it again, unless out of necessity for illness. 

I thought it was too expensive...fee and tip.

Second time around I got multiple texts saying they were out of items and she was making substitutions right and left and I was like STOP!!!!!  It was just too much texting and stuff. 

Ordering was ok. I did it on my iPad. (No way would I order on my phone). But I forgot to put a few things on the list that I would have caught if I’d been at the store myself and ended up having to go again the next day. 

I can see it being very useful in some instances, but not as a regular thing. And again, it was just too expensive. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

Thanks for the responses.   I think I'll be trying them again and make some adjustments to the communication options.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetghI'm with you on this one.  As long as I can get myself to the stores and move around and carry home what I choose, I'm doing my own shopping.

But services like these are wonderful for those who can't go themselves.  I think first of several of my friends who still live independently but use a cane or a walker.  Snowstorms and infirmities don't mix well at all!

Honored Contributor

I use it for Wegmans for work events, so I don't care about the cost, fees and tip.  It is cheaper than having me leave the office and go to Wegmans to do this.

I have to agree with the OP that the numerous texts are annoying.

The first time I placed an order (I did a trial as well), I did not know they were going to send me 100 texts and then the driver was goign to call me on my cell phone from a California area code.  So I didn't pick up.

I then got an email a few minutes later saying they cancelled my order.

$250 worth of bottled water and other beverages schlepped to his car and schlepped back to Wegmans because he didn't think to come inside the front door of the building and ask the guard if they could page me.

Whatever, dude.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I have used SHIPT for 2 years and it is the best thing since sliced bread!  The ladies that have shopped for me do a wonderful job.  I use the same girl most of the time and she will text me that she is at Publix and when she is leaving the store.  Occasionally, she will text because they are out of an item.  I can text her if I need to add or change an item.  I prefer to order on my computer, not my phone.  My choice. 

I'd rather have my shopper than a house cleaner!!!

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@gidgetghI'm with you on this one.  As long as I can get myself to the stores and move around and carry home what I choose, I'm doing my own shopping.

But services like these are wonderful for those who can't go themselves.  I think first of several of my friends who still live independently but use a cane or a walker.  Snowstorms and infirmities don't mix well at all!

@millieshops......I so agree with your 2nd paragraph.  I can't go to the store anymore, and have found them to be a blessing.  I am on a walker, and no way could I go to the store to grocery shop.  They are a Godsend.....