Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone used Coinstar lately?

Kiosks at different locations offer different redemption offers.  If you go to the Coinstar website, you can find a listing of locations and the services offered at each kiosk. 

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

We had a hard time finding a bank that has this. Husband won't use any one of them that has a fee. Like Coinstar. He finally joined a bank that has this free service, just for this. 

Turned out out to be TD Bank that had faulty machines. Supposedly they are replacing them.

What is a TD bank?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's the name of a bank. Stands for Toronto Dominion. Had to google that. It goes by TD.

Valued Contributor

They did an investiigative report last week on the TODAY show and found the coinstar machines to be highly inaccurate.   The testers deposited exactly $300 worth of coins and the machines were off by as little as a few pennies to a whopping $53.  TD bank was featured and said they were going to take the machines offline whiile they fixed them.

http://www.today.com/money/coin-counting-machines-may-be-shortchanging-you-t84226

Respected Contributor

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

They did an investiigative report last week on the TODAY show and found the coinstar machines to be highly inaccurate.   The testers deposited exactly $300 worth of coins and the machines were off by as little as a few pennies to a whopping $53.  TD bank was featured and said they were going to take the machines offline whiile they fixed them.

http://www.today.com/money/coin-counting-machines-may-be-shortchanging-you-t84226

It isn't the Coinstar machines. It's the machines in the banks that were inaccurate.

Snip from the article:

"...Though the Coinstar machines delivered accurate counts, several bank machines shortchanged the Rossen team by various amounts.

Edgar Dworsky, editor of Consumer World, said he was "shocked" at the result from coin machines at the banks: "If you are a penny off paying your mortgage, they are going to slap you with a late fine. And here they are giving you less for your money? Not right."..."

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

I went on their website and found a kiosk at a credit union near us that still offers the gift cards. We went by there this morning and I converted my coins to an Amazon gift card- no fees. We aren't customers at that credit union. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

My local Walmart, Giant and Food Lion all have Coinstar and all offer a wide variety of gift cards.

I took a big jar of coins in last night and received a Sephora GC as my choice.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

My local Walmart, Giant and Food Lion all have Coinstar and all offer a wide variety of gift cards.

I took a big jar of coins in last night and received a Sephora GC as my choice.

@SahmIam- our Kroger and Walmart stores did, but now, their Coinstar machines offer cash or charity donation only. In our area, there was a Kroger that was pretty far from us and LGE credit unions that still had Coinstar machines that still offer gift cards. I guess they made a change. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  I wonder why? I guess they wanted to keep more of the $$$ for themselves.

Respected Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

It isn't the Coinstar machines. It's the machines in the banks that were inaccurate.

Snip from the article:

"...Though the Coinstar machines delivered accurate counts, several bank machines shortchanged the Rossen team by various amounts.

Edgar Dworsky, editor of Consumer World, said he was "shocked" at the result from coin machines at the banks: "If you are a penny off paying your mortgage, they are going to slap you with a late fine. And here they are giving you less for your money? Not right."..."

@Say Nay is correct. I saw the piece on the Today Show. The coinstar machines were accurate and the banks shortchanged.