Honored Contributor

Has anyone used Coinstar lately?

I've used them for years and always choose the gift card option because it's fee free.  Most recently I went probably two months or so ago and did this. 

I went this morning and the options were cash, for a 10% fee, or donate to charity. Gift cards are no longer an option. I brought my container of change home. I'm going to call my bank and see if they offer this service. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone used Coinstar lately?

We had a hard time finding a bank that has this. Husband won't use any one of them that has a fee. Like Coinstar. He finally joined a bank that has this free service, just for this. 

Turned out out to be TD Bank that had faulty machines. Supposedly they are replacing them.

Esteemed Contributor

At my bank, I have to bring in the coins already rolled and in the wrappers, to be deposited in to my account.

There is no machine that I can dump my coins in to for $.

Respected Contributor

My bank offers this service for free for customers.

If you are a non-customer, there is a small fee - maybe 5%?

Respected Contributor

I put them in rolls myself then take them to my bank. I wouldn't pay a fee just to have their machine sort coins.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

I have never used Coinstar. The two bank chains that I use both have coin counting machines so I always use them. I typically have a pretty good idea of how much money I'm hauling in. Neither of these banks want rolled coins. If you bring rolls in, they just open them, guess they don't trust the rollers!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MaggieMack wrote:

I have never used Coinstar. The two bank chains that I use both have coin counting machines so I always use them. I typically have a pretty good idea of how much money I'm hauling in. Neither of these banks want rolled coins. If you bring rolls in, they just open them, guess they don't trust the rollers!

That's interesting. I never had any issues with my bank or my credit union accepting pre-rolled coins.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Yes. Not everyone has a bank that accepts rolled coins, or has one of those machines.

Respected Contributor

My Credit Union has free use of a machine like Coinstar.  You enter an account number and the amount gets deposited into your account and spits out a receipt.  If you want cash, you then must use your debit card to access it at the ATM.

Honored Contributor

My bank has one in all of it's branches, customers can use them for free.......