Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone seen the movie Unbroken?

Has anyone seen the movie Unbroken? I think this movie looks good (and inspirational). Has anyone seen it yet?

We are thinking of going this weekend or next. (We saw Night @ the Museum, Wild, and Into the Woods all in a week so we may wait till next week for this because that was a lot of movies in one week).

I am wondering your thoughts if you saw it.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone seen the movie Unbroken?

No, I haven't seen it. I have read the book with the true story, and there is no way it could accurately describe the atrocious things the Japanese did to Louis and the other prisoners in a movie, nor would I want them to attempt it. These men were tortured and some killed by this and starvation in the camps. It was so hard to read in places because of their cruelty that I had to put the book down and read another day. It was in very poor taste IMO, to release it at Christmas anyway, but I guess it had Louis' blessing. Read the book first, then see the movie.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Respected Contributor

We were going to see it but changed our minds because the reviews said the brutality was pretty extreme...so we saw big eyes instead, which We really enjoyed.
Honored Contributor

Yes, we saw it over the Holiday weekend. I read the book (by Laura Hillenbrand - also wrote Seabiscuit) about 4 years ago. Loved the book. I thought the movie was good. Yes, some of the scenes were difficult to watch, but IMO they left out (from the book) the most graphic scenes. And the story has a great message of forgiveness and redemption. I recommend it!

Esteemed Contributor

Ok thank you for the replies.

Now that you mention it, I am thinking I had a hard time watching Lone Survivor, (I hid my eyes at times), so maybe I shouldn't see this one. I have to think about it.

About that Big Eyes movie, I want to see that too. It is not here yet! I hope that it eventually comes here.

Thanks.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

The book was the best work of non-fiction that I have ever read in my life. Haven't seen the movie yet.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Regular Contributor

Hey, Shorty.

We saw it. We met and heard Louis Z at my church a few years ago. He was friends with my preacher and spoke. And he was AWESOME!

I read this book and couldn't wait to see the movie. Some of the acting was just ok, and it's a little long, but overall its a good movie of an awesome and inspiring man!!!

Esteemed Contributor

How did the movie handle his Christianity? Was it mentioned at all, or was it an integral part of the film?

Respected Contributor

For some reason, I have no desire to read this book or see the movie. Not sure why.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

It handled the violence in an effective, yet thoughtful manner. A powerful story of courage. Was going to see "Into the Woods" this weekend, but the comments of those standing in line for "Unbroken" who had seen it are giving me second thoughts. Maybe see "Big Eyes" instead.