Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone reroofed their house recently?

Gosh I'm getting a lot of helpful information. The warranty is transferable . The salesman told us they know they won't have to repair it anyway

I know what you mean about hating to deal with stuff like this. It's a headache. They are coming out to measure later today

I will be glad when its over

Honored Contributor

Heres a link about rubber shingles in case anyone in interested

http://rubberroofingshingles.net/

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Gosh I'm getting a lot of helpful information. The warranty is transferable . The salesman told us they know they won't have to repair it anyway

I know what you mean about hating to deal with stuff like this. It's a headache. They are coming out to measure later today

I will be glad when its over

I feel  for you.  We contracted for a new roof in June, but because of bad weather causing the contractor to get behind and the amount of work he had, our roof wasn't installed until Sept.

As luck would have it, we were on vacation and not home when our roof was installed.  Our neighbors were frantic.  One even called my sister because he was so upset.  

As as soon as we got home, we received a call from my cousin who lives a few houses away.  He could not imagine that we would allow a new roof to be installed while we were away and he was convinced the roof was installed on the wrong house.

It seems we were the talk of the neighborhood for a while.  Everyone assumed we got a new roof at no cost because the roofer was at the wrong house.

No such luck.  I wish you a smooth transaction.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

Interesting concept. I wonder how it would hold up to the sun in the southeast. We get temps in the triple digits and that sun is HOT.

If you google rubber roofing shingles , you will get a lot of information. sphalt is not the quality it used to be. There have been a lot of lawsuits against the makers of shingles. They used to use more tar in the construction but the EPA made them stop

We just had ours roofed with class four asphalt shingles.  It was expensive, but it reduced our insurance costs a lot.  Nothing else was mentioned to us.  We had 3 shake shingle roofs in the last 20 years, and pretty much everyone here is going asphalt now--we were in an edition where it was in the code but that's no longer enforced.  I hate the look of the roof compared to wood, but we are in hail central here, so it isn't worth the worry and the cost and the hassle any more to go with wood.

The insurance company had a list of the kind of roofing that reduces your insurance costs.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner this material is quite new. Some of it is manufactured in Canada. I'm not sure if  it available all over yet

They did say our insurance premiums would go down, because hail can't damage it and it is very fire resistant

Honored Contributor

@cherry  Thank you for posting about this. I am looking at a new roof in the next year or so and this is making me sit back and go "hmm".

I have an HOA so I'll check and see if there are any restrictions regarding rubber shingles. MANY playgrounds use them now instead of mulch in my county and is considered a positive for many reasons.

Again, thank you : )

Honored Contributor

The rubber shingles sound good but I'd be concerned if the product hasn't been around for very long.  How does the roofing company know that the shingles will last that many years?

Honored Contributor

I supposes they are tested and old tires are practically industructable as is pcv pipe.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How much sun does your current roof get? Does the rubber degrade over time with sun hitting it day after day?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

How much dun does your current roof get? Does the rubber degrade over time with sun hitting it day after day?

They say not and I've read and been told by numerous people it  can last up to 75 years

It won't crack like an asphalt shingle or a paved road. I live in the northern tier of the us.