Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone received the census form?

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

The census forms will NOT be mailed out until 2020. Right now they are compliling a list of addresses of household throughout the U.S. Unless you are having some kind of off year state census, the Federal Census occurs every 10 years. The last one was in 2010. Do not send something in, and by all means don't send it via the internet. This sounds very suspicious to me given all the other scams that are perpetrated these days. When I DO get mine, I will gladly fill it out, except for one thing: if it asks me if I'm a citizen, I will leave it blank. There's a hidden agenda there and it's political.

@RainCityWoman

the american community survey is totally legitimate and comes out of the federal census bureau. it can come to you at any time (not just in a census year) and is required by law. it is sent to a small percentage of the population on a rotating basis. it helps your community and it helps determine how federal funds are distributed for things like infrastructure, community services, schools and hospitals, and more.

The U.S. Census Bureau conducts more than 130 surveys each year, including our nation's largest:

• household survey, the American Community Survey
• business survey, Annual Retail Trade

https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/surveys-programs.html

You mean after all these years, I have never been deemed worthy of one of the surveys? Wow. I just must not fit the demographic. What's the purpose of these surveys and how are they being used?

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

The census forms will NOT be mailed out until 2020. Right now they are compliling a list of addresses of household throughout the U.S. Unless you are having some kind of off year state census, the Federal Census occurs every 10 years. The last one was in 2010. Do not send something in, and by all means don't send it via the internet. This sounds very suspicious to me given all the other scams that are perpetrated these days. When I DO get mine, I will gladly fill it out, except for one thing: if it asks me if I'm a citizen, I will leave it blank. There's a hidden agenda there and it's political.

@RainCityWoman

the american community survey is totally legitimate and comes out of the federal census bureau. it can come to you at any time (not just in a census year) and is required by law. it is sent to a small percentage of the population on a rotating basis. it helps your community and it helps determine how federal funds are distributed for things like infrastructure, community services, schools and hospitals, and more.

The U.S. Census Bureau conducts more than 130 surveys each year, including our nation's largest:

You mean after all these years, I have never been deemed worthy of one of the surveys? Wow. I just must not fit the demographic. What's the purpose of these surveys and how are they being used?

@RainCityWoman

it began as of january 2005.

The American Community Survey (ACS) is an ongoing survey by the U.S. Census Bureau. It regularly gathers information previously contained only in the long form of the decennial census, such as ancestry, educational attainment, income, language proficiency, migration, disability, employment, and housing characteristics. These data are used by many public-sector, private-sector, and not-for-profit stakeholders to allocate funding, track shifting demographics, plan for emergencies, and learn about local communities. Sent to approximately 295,000 addresses monthly (or 3.5 million per year), it is the largest household survey that the Census Bureau administers.

The ACS has an initial sample of approximately 3.5 million housing unit addresses and group quarters in the United States. The Census Bureau selects a random sample of addresses to be included in the ACS. Each address has about a 1-in-480 chance of being selected in a given month, and no address should be selected more than once every five years. Data are collected by internet, mail, telephone interviews and in-person interviews. Approximately one third of those who do not respond to the survey by mail or telephone are randomly selected for in-person interviews. About 95 percent of households across all response modes ultimately respond.

Like the decennial census, ACS responses are confidential. Every employee at the Census Bureau takes an oath of nondisclosure and is sworn for life to not disclose identifying information. Violations can result in a 5-year prison sentence and/or $250,000 fine.[15] Under 13 U.S.C. § 9, census responses are "immune from legal process" and may not "be admitted as evidence or used for any purpose in any action, suit, or other judicial or administrative proceeding."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@RainCityWoman

@RainCityWoman

it began as of january 2005.

The American Community Survey (ACS) is an ongoing survey by the U.S. Census Bureau. It regularly gathers information previously contained only in the long form of the decennial census, such as ancestry, educational attainment, income, language proficiency, migration, disability, employment, and housing characteristics. These data are used by many public-sector, private-sector, and not-for-profit stakeholders to allocate funding, track shifting demographics, plan for emergencies, and learn about local communities. Sent to approximately 295,000 addresses monthly (or 3.5 million per year), it is the largest household survey that the Census Bureau administers.

The ACS has an initial sample of approximately 3.5 million housing unit addresses and group quarters in the United States. The Census Bureau selects a random sample of addresses to be included in the ACS. Each address has about a 1-in-480 chance of being selected in a given month, and no address should be selected more than once every five years. Data are collected by internet, mail, telephone interviews and in-person interviews. Approximately one third of those who do not respond to the survey by mail or telephone are randomly selected for in-person interviews. About 95 percent of households across all response modes ultimately respond.

Like the decennial census, ACS responses are confidential. Every employee at the Census Bureau takes an oath of nondisclosure and is sworn for life to not disclose identifying information. Violations can result in a 5-year prison sentence and/or $250,000 fine.[15] Under 13 U.S.C. § 9, census responses are "immune from legal process" and may not "be admitted as evidence or used for any purpose in any action, suit, or other judicial or administrative proceeding."

Thanks for the information. However, I find it hard to believe that in all my years as a resident, and believe me it's a lot of years, I have NEVER been sent anything but the ten year census forms. I find that odd.

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman

perhaps you or someone in your household filed it in the circular file?......in other words, maybe you or someone else thought it was a scam or junk mail and just tossed it? it may be that they have not gotten around to you yet?

3.5 million per year for 13 years......LOTS of people may not have received one yet.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein