Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone received a notice from the taxboards

I did from California they hadn't received mine for this year. I know I sent it and called up my credit union to verify it and send a copy in case it was needed. I called but late afternoon wasn't a good time for they were too busy. I called at 8 am when they opened, wasn't on hold long.  They had 2 ss numbers down, don't know how that happened. So I had to verify the number. Almost had to call up the ss number  for them to send me a notice. Finally the CA office verified. They had asked me where I got the number from. I didn't have my husbands card for I shredded a lot of things. He died this year. They haven't processed the return yet. As if I  haven't gone through enough trouble.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone received a notice from the taxboards

Sure it's not a scam - them getting you to verify information?  Be careful! 

Super Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

I did from California they hadn't received mine for this year. I know I sent it and called up my credit union to verify it and send a copy in case it was needed. I called but late afternoon wasn't a good time for they were too busy. I called at 8 am when they opened, wasn't on hold long.  They had 2 ss numbers down, don't know how that happened. So I had to verify the number. Almost had to call up the ss number  for them to send me a notice. Finally the CA office verified. They had asked me where I got the number from. I didn't have my husbands card for I shredded a lot of things. He died this year. They haven't processed the return yet. As if I  haven't gone through enough trouble.

If you do your taxes online you can avoid this problem.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

@halfpint1

You can easily tell if it's a scam by HOW you were contacted.  

If you received a letter (usually a registered letter) it's legit.

If they called you, it's definitely a scam.