Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone noticed this about cashback sites?

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Amazon uses dynamic pricing.  Depending upon interest in the item based upon purchases and views the price can move multiple times intraday.  Even several times within an hour.

@Johnnyeager 

Thank you for this information.  I didn't have a clue!

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager,

I've noticed that. If I click on something, it's like oh you are interested? We'll up the price!

Something I don't like about Amazon.

But I keep using it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

With Amazon I have also noticed if I stick something in my cart and then forget about it, a few days later I will get an email letting me know it has gone down in price.  

Frequent Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I thought I'd try once again with for me mrrebates seeing how so many have had luck with these various sites.

Anyway this time I first signed into I think it was Amazon, then mrrebates. 

As soon as I put in Amazon (or maybe it was Walmart) in the mrrebates bar, then went again to the thing I was buying, it went up in price!

So Im wondering if as soon as you go on these cashback sites, the price of what you are trying to order is already higher then if you just went to the store!

Anyone esel find this?

I've never seen this @on the bay .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Pearlee   I have never had this happen on Amazon, but now that you have mentioned it....I'll be very astute regarding the price I'm paying as I tend to leave things in the cart before purchasing.  Thanks for the heads-up.

@phoenixbrd Amazon's prices change both up and down.  I leave items in my cart all the time and I've had prices increase as well as decrease.  I generally get a notice that the price of an item in my cart has changed.   

Honored Contributor

Living in an area with not the greatest computer service available, my tech told me these sites simply add spyware and goof me up more than usual.  So I avoid them.

Trusted Contributor

Be Frugal and Rakuten have not done that to me.

Respected Contributor

I use Mr. Rebates for most everything. I haven't used it for Amazon, as only certain items qualify for a discount and most of them are electronics.( at least that's the way I understood it) I've never used it for Walmart(also restrictions) either but I don't usually order much from them except for maybe an occasional Christmas item. I do a a lot of online shopping and always use Mr. Rebates. The only time I have had the problem with pricing is when I have a link for something on sale and I try to also use Mr. Rebates. For example, I use, From You Flowers frequently. They send me a link for sales and if I put something in my basket and then go to Mr. Rebates, Boom! The price goes up! I called them and asked about this and was told that you can't  use both. If you buy something from them on sale, you can't use Mr. Rebates or it goes back to the higher price first.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Mr Rebates is nice to deal with, but their percentages are often very low compared with Top Cashback, same goes for Rakuten, usually low. . 

Honored Contributor

Amazon's dynamic pricing is like watching the stock market for online shoppers.  Things in my cart rarely stay the same price.