Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone invested in 'bitcoins?

If I can't comprehend it, I won't invest in it. My brain couldn't wrap itself around it and I didn't take the plunge. Have no regrets. Realize money was made in the early days, but have no regrets. Still don't understand it!! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

NO WAY......(and you won't find  me at the race track, either)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

No matter how many times it is explained, I don't get it.

It seems like savings or investing in cyberspace or the twilight zone.

@on the bay I even read an article that was geared towards 5th graders and still didn't get it!

Honored Contributor

Thank you to all ,that says they don't get it. I kept thinking ,I must be a very dim person. It makes no sort of sense to me...

Respected Contributor

NO!!!!!!!  I don't consider Bitcoin to be an "investment".  I consider quality stocks and bonds, held over time, to be investments.

Trusted Contributor

Me, no.  In my opinion it is still too speculative/ unregulated.

I do know someone who bought in early; sold it and it is covering a large portion of the purchase of his first home. 

As technology and the laws regulating it evolve, I anticipate that crypo currency will become more mainstream - however whether bitcoin will be a survivor - I don't know. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

I don't understand bitcoins either--my nephewinvested  $10,000 in bitcoin that increased in value to a $100,000 in just a short time,  only to have it tank for what ever reason and he lost his investment $$.

Valued Contributor

I agree with you on this.  My dil friend's husband supposedly made large  a sum by investing in the mining of bitcoins.  They gave her a copy of the  sheet of what they were given to see if she would be interested.  I looked it over and all I saw was a basic excel sheet with some computations.  It was definately not generated by a real company!  Think B Madoff!  Honestly, I have never seen crypto as a method of payment anytime I've purchased anything.    I'll stick to the Peter Lynch theory and stick to what I understand.  If I want to gamble I will go to Vegas!  

Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

No matter how many times it is explained, I don't get it.

It seems like savings or investing in cyberspace or the twilight zone.

I don't get it either @on the bay. I've read explanations and looked at YouTube too.

Contributor

I don't understand bitcoins either--my nephewinvested  $10,000 in bitcoin that increased in value to a $100,000 in just a short time,  only to have it tank for what ever reason and he lost his investment $$.

Well, of course, it's all about the risks, like almost every niche of financial markets.