Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone installed a new furnace recently?

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SilleeMee, we have a furnace that is now 21 years old in our house.  Ours has that same stupid thing you are talking about and we didn't know it.  My DH used to work nights.  One evening I kept hearing the furnace kick on but it would run for maybe a minute and shut off.  I would wake up in the morning and the house would be in the 50s.  But everytime DH came home, everything was working fine.  This went on for a couple of weeks and DH was starting to think I was nuts.  LOL

Finally one morning I woke up frozen, he came home and it was doing it for him.  He called his buddy who told him what needed to be cleaned so we've been able to do it ever since then ourselves.     

@Lipstickdiva,

Exactly what happened to me! Woke up freezingSmiley Surprised and thought my furnace was broken. Then I called for service and he fixed it. But that only lasted half-way through the season and it happened againWoman Mad. I troubleshooted myself, found the dirty detector problem, cleaned it and bam. I even bought a spare detector! I just can't live with the thought of my furnace going out...especially if it gets below zero outside!

Trusted Contributor

We replaced our 33 year old furnace/AC with another Lennox. Love it because my heat bills are about one half of what they used to be. More energy efficient. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is the furnace for oil or gas? Weil/McLain is a good brand for either that was recommended to us.

Also see if the furnace has a rebate in place from your gas company.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

We recently replaced our 20 year old Carrier with a Lenox.  So far so good, it is very efficient.

Esteemed Contributor

Replaced last fall, new one is Payne. What a difference a new one makes!

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Is the furnace for oil or gas? Weil/McLain is a good brand for either that was recommended to us.

Also see if the furnace gas a rebate in place from your gas company.

It's natural gas

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Also see if the furnace gas a rebate in place from your gas company.

It's natural gas

Burnham Alpine brand is good too, get the most energy efficient one. Be sure the furnace is serviced in the summer months yearly. Ours is a wall mounted one.

We also went with a gas fired water heater from Rheem.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

We got a new one the middle of last winter.  We bought a TRANE.  It came HIGHLY recommended.  I worked really well and I could feel a difference immediately.

Honored Contributor

@cherry

We had our furnance replaced after Hurricane Sandy flooded our house.  We went with Lenox. (our previous furnace was Lenox) 

Cherry, nothing lasts as long as it once did.  We were lucky with our previous furnace and were on borrowed time.  I wish the same could be said for our kitchen appliances..

Respected Contributor

Don't use Carrier - they are moving their plant to Mexico from Indiana and 1400 people are losing their jobs - they don't deserve our money!