Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone here ever used chorine bleach in the laundry with white Pima cotton?

@Kachina624 

I wonder if a third party bought out the supply from England and is now gauging the public .....

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Regular Contributor

Re: Has anyone here ever used chlorine bleach in the laundry with white Pima cotton?

I started using 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide in my white and light laundry loads a few years ago. It is much gentler than bleach and whitens and removes stains. My white tops and towels stay bright. I also use a cup of white vinegar in the rinse to remove and soap residue as that can cause graying. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone here ever used chorine bleach in the laundry with white Pima cotton?

@jlkz wrote:

Whether the fabric is white or any color, for stains I use a stain remover bar I read about a few years ago on this forum.

It is called " Astonish " and can be found on Amzn for approx. $8.  I use the same end to rub on the fabric so the bar stays in my hand but makes 100% contact with the stain.

When I got my Aunt's home ready for sale, I found several college sweatshirts that belonged to my cousin.  There were stains that had obviously survived many washings.  Since DH wanted these shirts,I tried a spritzing of Shout to dampen them and then rubbed the Astonish bar on the stain.  The stains are GONE !

The bar takes out blood stains perfectly also.

It lasts a long time.  You may want to order two because if you rave about it, someone will want to try it !  ⭐️👍⭐️

@jlkz  Does the package have ingredients listed?  Maybe @SilleeMee and us can find something like it but not SO expensive!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

I use 1 cup of plain ol' hydrogen peroxide in the laundry to whiten the whites and remove stains. 

That Astonish Stain Remover Bar looks very toxic to me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 @jlkz @Sooner @SilleeMee 

It's available on Starcrest.com. I ordered from this company a while ago and had no problems.

Astonish® Stain Remover Bar

Astonish® Stain Remover Bar-374867
$5.00

In stock. Ready to ship!

Description

Britain's favorite stain remover — now available in the United States! Astonish is a powerful bleach-free cleaner that removes the worst stains from clothes, carpets and upholstery. Just rub the bar over dampened stains both old and new — and watch as grease, blood, oil, coffee, chocolate, wine, lipstick and more disappear. Effective for ring-around-the-collar, it makes a terrific pre-wash treatment. Nontoxic and biodegradable; safe for most fabrics.

Features 

• Britain's favorite stain remover
  • A powerful bleach-free cleaner
  • Removes stains from clothes, carpets and upholstery
  • A terrific pre-wash treatment
  • Nontoxic and biodegradable
  • Safe for most fabrics

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Sooner 

I use 1 cup of plain ol' hydrogen peroxide in the laundry to whiten the whites and remove stains. 

That Astonish Stain Remover Bar looks very toxic to me.

@SilleeMee SO. . . would I be ok if I wear gloves and don't lick it?????Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Yes, I would definitely wear gloves while handling the Astonish Bar and also rinse well for whatever you treat it with.

Respected Contributor

I only have white bath towels. Maybe three times a year I will wash them all in two or three loads and use Clorox on them ...but not very much. It does make them brighter and have never had a problem with any of them breaking down or developing holes. I would not use Clorox on clothes and definitely not on any Pima cotton.

I use  Dreft spray or oxi clean if aI have a stain on a white or light-colored item.

Respected Contributor

I use Oxiclean White Revive - works great.

Trusted Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

I use Oxiclean White Revive - works great.

@FranandZoe I just soaked 3 cotton tops in Oxiclean overnight and they came out great.  

I saw it in the Washington Pos about Ann Russell who lives in an English village and has become a TikTok sensation with her cleaning tips!

For whites that have grayed or yellowed, Russell uses oxygen bleach — which is gentler than chlorine bleach and usually considered color-safe — and warns that sometimes you have to use more than you’d expect. “People say they tried it and [it] didn’t work,” she says, but usually, “they’re not using enough.”

Her method? Add half a mug of oxygen bleach powder (such as OxyClean) to a bucket of hot water, add your whites and stir with a wooden spoon — then put something heavy on top of the clothes inside the bucket, like a plate, to keep everything submerged for 24 hours. Finally, wash everything in the machine twice, without detergent: “Usually, it comes out beautifully.”