Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone had the tub to shower conversion done?

We did about a year ago.  Not the sit down kind either.  We got a seat with ours which is in the basement for now.  It's quicker, easier in and out.  

Honored Contributor

@judianne  We used Koehler and a company, have them give you a quote.  So far the prices quoted on the previous posts are about right, I'd agree with those costs. Get some quotes.

Esteemed Contributor

I am viewing an advertisement for Jacuzzi Bath Remodel. The advertisement states it is completed in one day. The showers look beautiful on TV but this is trying to secure business. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We just completed a reno of our hall bathroom (which is the one DH uses--his choice!). We took the tubs out of both bathrooms years ago...this is what works for us, and we'll worry about resale when/if the time comes. Anyway, the vanity stayed as it was fairly new, but the size of the shower was widened by about 6-8 inches (big difference as it was originally the size of the small tub it replaced) and the bulkhead was removed to be the same height as the rest of the room. We didn't replace the toilet, either. The entire floor, and the shower walls/ceiling are now tile. DH did pick kind of an expensive tile, but we didn't do any niches, shelves, bench, etc. Total cost $14,000, and it's just an average size bath. We were going to do "no-threshold" but that would've been an additional $4,000!

On to the primary bath, which is what I use. The shower is large, as we had a jacuzzi tub years ago, and just made that entire space into a shower. We've just had sheet vinyl floors in both bathrooms forever. Now we are tiling floor, shower, shower ceiling, cutting back the wall between the vanity and shower to make a wider entrance into the shower area, replacing the vanity. This shower WILL be a no-threshold in case of future disability. Keeping the toilet. Again no bench, shelves or niches. $25,000 is the cost--my tile is less expensive than DH's, but it's a much larger room. 

I didn't want niches, shelves or built-in benches to make the shower easier to clean. Instead I bought two end tables made of Polywood that are meant to be used outdoors, so waterproof, and have stainless steel screws, so no rust. They come in a lot of colors, and at 15" square x 18" high, hold my shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc. very nicely, and also give me a place to put my foot when shaving legs. I got one for each shower, and they look really nice. Plus I can move them out of the way when cleaning tile. Using them also means fewer grout lines to clean.

It will all be worth it when we're done...plus it will hopefully enable us to comfortably stay in our house.

Trusted Contributor

If I knew how to send a picture I would. We had this done back in early 2020. California prices., around $20,000. Including the new vanity. Really happy we did that since we have a 2 story house and il having knee replacement surgery in October. 

Honored Contributor

@DSD2 

I think that price wasn't that bad....we have flipped houses and the cost for all that work was within the realms of material and labor costs.

The labor for all that is VERY intensive....we have done it ourselves.

Of course, you didn't say when that was quoted.....if recently, it is a fair price.

Hiring laborers is very costly and materials have ALL doubled thanks to this recession.....IF you can even get them.

Deliveries can run months.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 

BEAUTIFUL!

Excellent choices!  Good for you!!!

Super Contributor

I did this 20 years ago in 2002.   I was already having trouble getting in and out of the tub.  I enlarged the space of the shower, large 12 x 24 porcelain wall tiles, splurged on carrara marble mosaic floor tiles in the shower, shower head, handheld spray and four wall sprays (a spa!), built-in seat, grab bars, glass doors.  Cost back then $12,000.  Best thing I ever did. I worked directly with the plumber and the tile man and it was done in two weeks.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife Thank you!  I'm very happy with how it turned out!

Honored Contributor

I have hated bathtubs my entire life.  I guess it comes from scrubbing the tub with gritty Ajax or Comet cleanser when I was a kid.  To this day I can't even use powdered laundry detergent much less gritty cleanser.  So . . . when we built our smaller retirement home with only one bath, we put in only a shower.  Nothing fancy, I wish we had HGTV back then and I might have been more creative.