Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone had the tub to shower conversion done?

We're considering having this done.  We don't need bathtubs in both bathrooms and it would be nice to not have to jump the tub after a shower. 

Hope it isn't to costly.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone had the tub to shower conversion done?

We had a large walk-in shower with bench installed where there originally was a tub.  In place of the old stall shower is a large storage cabinet with roll-out shelves.  Our house didn't have a lot of storage so this is really useful. The only thing I would have done differently is to choose a larger window in the shower.  The most important step in the process is choosing a good contractor!

First Shower.jpg

Honored Contributor

we did this last spring in our vacation home.

we have two full bathrooms and removed BOTH tubs.

best thing we ever did!

love the look so much better than a tub, plus much less chance of slipping with the type of tiles we chose.

its noisy and messy, but it was worth it.

the bathrooms look a bit bigger also without the tubs.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

We looked into a tub to shower conversion but wanted to do the entire shower area at the same time. The reno proposed  removing the tub, intalling a floor, all the tile, glass shower door, built in shower chair, handrails etc., materials and labor. I asked them to price in a few nicer fixtures and higher quality tiles.  We have a large window in the shower that I asked be kept "as is".

If we agreed to sign that day, the cost was $18,000. The next day the sales manager called me and apologized that the salesman did not provide a "senior" quote and he wanted to make it right. Needless to say, I wasn't interested.

I am sure that people who have connections or have a contractor as a relative or friend will do much better. Price will vary by what you want done.

Hopefully your quote will be much lower. Just wanted to share this as my experience was eye opening. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wobin, Love this - it looks beautiful! 

Honored Contributor

I just had bathroom gutted & renovated this summer.  Cost quoted to me (I still have to pay the balance as I'm waiting for his final bill) was 15K for labor and some materials.)  I had to provide the major items like the tiles, toilet, faucets, mirrors, shower glass, grab bar, tub (I went with a smaller tub and a larger shower), vanity, quartz counter & light fixtures. 

My contractor directed me where to look for some of these items and I got his ok....I didn't know what would work or not.  He did a fabulous job and works mostly through word of mouth.

My friend who has the same model house also had her bathroom done last year by the same contractor.  She made the shower larger and removed the tub.  In the empty pace she added a dressing table.

Good luck with your project!

Esteemed Contributor

Our neighbors had theirs done, to the tune of $15,000. They had a jacuzzi tub taken out and a shower put in. When we designed our house, I so wish that I had opted for just a shower in my bathroom and use the rest of the space for a large linen closet. No one here uses a Jacuzzi tub.

Honored Contributor

IMG_3975.jpegI'm still waiting for the glass....here is my new shower which has never been used so far.  The seam that is on the bench is where the glass wall will go and there is a tub on the other side.

I did research about putting in a niche and read online that it's not a good idea to add one to an outside wall (which is the back wall of the shower) if you live in a colder climate.  It would take away any insulation and could get cold and add some problems down the road.  I really wanted a statement niche but instead I decided to be safe and get a trio of corner shelves.

Regular Contributor

@MoJoV . We remodeled primary bathroom, removed tub, reconfigured the space and included walk in shower with glass wall but no method to fully enclose shower space. It is just a glass wall we step behind with shower head and controls on intersecting wall. I did have handheld shower included for ease of cleaning the space.  It is drafty in colder months but I am not willing to put up shower curtain which would look tacky. Wish we had reduced the shower space and included glass door to keep the warmth contained. I thought I would be fighting mold if I enclosed entire space, hence containing moisture. The larger the space, the colder it is in winter. I do squeegee the glass wall and wet floors daily after using shower. Also use a tile layers sponge to wipe off wet controls. I do not like grout in bathroom and wish I had used solid surface or larger tiles to reduce amount of grout to keep clean. 

Valued Contributor

Wow l can't believe the prices !  l want to take out the tub too , and put just a shower in its place . l am 76 and just had several knee surgeries, it's very difficult to get over the tub , we never use the tub anymore . ln fact , if I sat down in it I would never be able to get out !  l shouldn't need much plumbing, just tub and surround removal and l wasn't going to go with the stone stuff , just the flexstone sheets that are available now . They are still pricey but easy install and look almost real . l like a shower curtain  , l had sliding glass doors , they were terrible to keep clean . l really need this for safety , but don't have thousands to spend !  We are getting the roof redone and so surprised how high that has gotten . It's over double what we paid 20 years ago . So depressing .