Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone had the tub to shower conversion done?

@elated wrote:

I read the cons for onyx are: Fragile, High Maintenance and sensitivity to stain. The pro is it can last for 100 years. I don't know what to suggest for a replacement.

@elated 

Thank you for this but do you have first hand experience with this product?   It has been recommended by multiple contractors with excellent references in our area.  I realize no product will get across the board recommendations.  I'd just like to hear from someone who had the product or has had this product in the past, to give me their honest opinion.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

IMG_3975.jpegI'm still waiting for the glass....here is my new shower which has never been used so far.  The seam that is on the bench is where the glass wall will go and there is a tub on the other side.

I did research about putting in a niche and read online that it's not a good idea to add one to an outside wall (which is the back wall of the shower) if you live in a colder climate.  It would take away any insulation and could get cold and add some problems down the road.  I really wanted a statement niche but instead I decided to be safe and get a trio of corner shelves.

@haddon9  oh I love the niche. We flip houses and whether it's a shower or tub, there has to be a niche or two.

I also love the shelves and the way they were placed and I've seen just one but prefer a few.

@Sage04 

This is lovely!  It's exactly what I envision in our master.  Thank you for sharing!

Esteemed Contributor

I just want to thank all of you for your input.  We are reinstalling a basement bath that was destroyed due to a collapse of sewer pipes-pray this never happens to you.   It will be beautiful.  We have made some hard decisions on the other 3 bathrooms in our house prior to sale.   Not just those rooms but others as well, but I greatly appreciate all your input.  What a great resource to have you all to share your experiences and thoughts!