Contributor

Has anyone had a reverse shoulder replacement?

After putting it off for 4 years, I have decided to get a reverse shoulder replacement. I am so tired of being in so much pain, not being able to reach a plate in the cupboard and having to take Percocet 4 times a day that I finally went back to my orthopedic doc. He sat down and explained everything involved plus he answered all my questions and fears. Waiting so long has hurt my shoulder blade (worn down). Evidently without a rotator cuff, my shoulder slips up and out which causes it to hit the shoulder blade and that repeated action has done some damage. He says that the shoulder replacement won't affect that part but once the shoulder is stabilized, the pain should be lessened by about 75%. I'll take that!

Has anyone here had the reverse replacement? If so, how is it going and how did the surgery and after go? I know there'll be lots of pain right after but the doc says I'll see a lot of relief within the first 2 weeks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone had a reverse shoulder replacement?

I had a regular shoulder replacement after a fall and regaining ROM was difficult and it's still painful years later. HOWEVER a, a friend had the reverse replacement with excellent results. You might try this question over in the Health forum, too. Good luckSmiley Happy
Valued Contributor

Gabby,

I never had a shoulder replacement but my best friend had the reverse shoulder replacement several years ago. She was expecting a lot of pain but the very next day following surgery, she was up and running. She had some discomfort but no pain to speak of. She feared the pain she told she would have but had none. She said it is the best thing she ever did and feels wonderful. Prior to her surgery, she could barely move her arm and the day after, she was reaching for things and bending her arm, etc.. I was like a miracle. Good luck to you.

docsgirl

Super Contributor

I need one ASAP, just waiting till after holidays to schedule but the pain may change those plans.

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks Docsgirl. That's what I was hoping to hear. Since I've put up with pain for so long, I think I can make it through this. After the first rotator cuff surgery, I swore that this was not something you'd wish even on your worst enemy. Little did I know I'd have 3 more and now a total reverse shoulder replacement. I have my recliner ready to sleep in for a while since I probably won't be able to sleep in my bed. I wish the surgery coordinator would call so I could get this done soon.

Valued Contributor

Gabby,

As you know, people have different reactions to surgeries. Just because my friend did so well, does not mean you will have the same results but I hope you do. Her surgeon was amazed at how well she did. My neighbor and I both had a total knee replacement 2 months apart by the same surgeon. She was feeling great within a few weeks. It's been over 3 years and mine never healed properly and I'm in constant pain. I've had other opinions and have been told that everything was done right but every once in a while, things like this just happen. Oh, lucky me!! I hope you have fantastic, pain free results.

By the way, I've always wanted to live in Sun City. I understand it's a wonderful community filled with things to go AND it's warm and toasty there. I'm originally from New York but reside in Ohio where our winters are long and brutal. Enjoy the sun and good luck. docsgirl

Contributor

Docsgirl, I'm originally from Marietta Ohio. We love it out here in Sun City. We have 7 recreation centers, each has a swimming pool and fitness center. There are so many clubs and things to do. If you get bored here, it's your fault, lol. We also have 7 golf courses and pickleball & tennis courts. The nice thing about being the first Sun City is that you can find apartments starting at $40,000 and houses starting at about $70,000. These need updating but it doesn't cost that much to update and most of the houses here were built without supporting walls so you can tear the inside completely out and make the house the way you want. We didn't go that far but we did take a wall down to make an open concept living/kitchen. If you ever get a chance to come out here or want more info, look for the visitor center site at sunaz.com. They will be happy to send you lots of information.

The heat in the summer isn't that bad because every house is air conditioned as well as the cars & stores. We are lucky enough to have a pool in the backyard so if I get too warm, I just jump in. The winter here is wonderful. I've seen it frost very little and it doesn't last long. The temperature is just wonderful which is why we get a lot of snowbirds.

Super Contributor

Mom had a reverse done about 3-4 yrs ago. She fell and broke off the "ball" part of the shoulder "ball and socket" joint. Idiot hospital (supposedly the BEST in Indiana, tho) let her lay on morphine pump for 5 full days before her surgery. That was the nightmare part.

She came home post-op to my house and had in-home physical therapy. Followed the PT instruction to the "T" and I made sure she took her pain meds right on schedule, do NOT let them wear off!!

After the in-home PT, she had out-patient PT for a few months, too. Then exercises to continue at home.

WONDERFUL results! She was about 76 or so when she had the surgery. Ortho MD said he'd be thrilled if she had 70% range of motion - she has about 95% or more. NO PAIN!!!!!!!

Good luck!

Contributor

Oh wow, JJ. That's such good news to hear. I'm almost 64 so I hope I have as good an outcome as she did. I was so worried these last 4 years after hearing about this operation. I thought if I got an infection or if something happened, my shoulder would be useless. This ortho doc was so good and took the time to explain what would happen in those cases and it was nothing like I thought. There's no losing the use of your arm! I felt very comfortable with this ortho doc. I am going to the CORE institute here in Sun City. I had dealt with a different doc but he wasn't keen on doing this surgery back in 2009. If this one works out good, I'll have my right shoulder done.