Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone found hand sanitizer available online in the past two days?

[ Edited ]

Nope, but I found the two ingredients to make a recommended one

*70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol

*Fruit of the Earth 100% aloe gel

~  ~  ~

Place 2/3 cup of at least 70% isopropyl/rubbing alcohol in a bowl

Add 1/3 cup of aloe vera gel and mix well

Add 5-10 drops of essential oil and mix again (optional for scent)

Use a funnel to transfer to a liquid soap pump container

Ensure container is tightly sealed, then label it and include date.

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Didn't they eliminate the antibacterial component of had sanitizers like they did for soaps a few years ago because they were causing super bacteria much like the overuse of antibiotics (along with people not taking the full course when they did take them)?  Never used hand sanitizers or the antibacterial soap and then my husband comes home with a two-pack of Antibacterial Dawn from Ollies.  So proud of himself for saving money and I still have tht stuff hidden in the back of a closet because I won't use it.  He also came home with a giant 6 pack of Chlorox wipes from Costco just as the Corona Virus started picking up media attention. Maybe if you can find something like that you could carry them around in ziplock baggies for your hands.  Or, the wet butt wipes.  I still have some of those sitting around from my last colonoscopy.  

Thanks for the LAUGH. After listening to the media - I know I have to start drinking!!!! 

No. They eliminated the use of Triclosan in hand and dishwashing soap, but they did not eliminate the use of alcohol, which is what most hand sanitizers have always used.

And "butt wipes" hopefully don't contain alcohol (ouch). They're not meant to be anti-bacterial.

Respected Contributor

@VenturaHighway wrote:

Put some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. 

Not all rubbing alcohol is the same. Some are only 50%, which isn't strong enough to work. And many stores are sold out of rubbing alcohol right now, too.

Honored Contributor

Hand washing is free....and available most everywhere.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As an aside, I went to our local Sams Club Saturday.  People were walking out with cart fulls of TP and water.  I got the last 40 pack of Kirkland brand water.  I was buying it because we go through a lot a day between my DH and myself, not for any health issues.

There was no hand sanitizer to be found and there were a couple 3 packs of Lysol spray.  I didn't see any wipes.

Yesterday I went to the grocery store. They are totally out of hand sanitizer, even the travel sizes.  Same for Walmart and Dollar Tree.   

I prefer to wash my hands with plain soap and water when I can but as others have said, that isn't always convenient. When I got to my car, after pushing the cart out and unloading stuff into my trunk,  I wanted to wash my hands but obviously I don't have a sink in my car so I needed hand sanitizer.  I would prefer not to use that stuff but sometimes you have no choice.