Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone filed their taxes in just the last few weeks?

Refund?  What's that, lol?  I haven't gotten a federal tax refund  since I retired.  I'm not even getting anything back from the state this time.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, @tansy, I arrived home from a trip to find the house ransacked and two sets of sliders smashed.  It happened after my pet sitter visited in the AM and before I arrived at 2 or 3PM, so my cats could have run away during that time but they didn't.  So it could have been lots worse, and I could have walked in on them, and that wouldn't have been good.  One has been caught and is a professional bad guy.  They didn't even arrest him for my breakin--another victim had surveillance cameras

I am thankful the cats were not hurt, though.  Passport, IDs and checkbooks stolen. . . and all my jewelry.  They are in trouble for the dozens of passports they found in the guy's house.

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

My accountants always file an extension.  As you know all it does is buy me time (I have business forms, etc to collect) because you have to do most of the work the first time and pay most of the taxes at that time.

Filing extensions works well for me and has saved me thousands of dollars.

@Annabellethecat66

Our accountant automatically files an extention for us.

I agree, works best for me & has saved a bunch.

If you don't mind my asking, how does that save you money? We've never done that, but if it saves money, I'd like some info LOL.

We have done our taxes for this year, though, and getting a pretty good refund. Woman LOL

Super Contributor

I would also like to know how an extension saves money. How does it change what you earned and owe for last year?????

Honored Contributor

Ours were filed electronically on the 8th of March and our refund was in our account the 21st.

Honored Contributor

I e-filed the other day and it turned out to be rather painful ... I had to mail a check!

Esteemed Contributor

Just submitted the package to our CPA last week.  I expect results soon - a by-product of using the same firm for years.  It's worth the money to have a pro do it, IMO.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

@Drythe, how does filing an extension save money? Is it something anybody could do?

Respected Contributor

I received a letter a couple days ago saying that a mistake was made in my calculations. The mistake was for only 1 dollar.  I am not kidding and it is in my favor.  It went on to say I will get my corrected refund in 4 - 6 weeks unless I want to dispute the corrected amount in which case I would need to call the phone number they included.

Respected Contributor

How on earth does an extension save you money?  We had to do that once because tax documents didn't arrive on time.  We owed money and had to pay on or before April 15th to avoid a penalty.  Our accountant's estimate was spot on and we didn't owe more than we paid thank goodness.