Honored Contributor

Has anyone fed their dogs the Urinary tract support Rx dog foods?

Any luck with any of them? TIA!

Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone fed their dogs the Urinary tract support Rx dog foods?

No, never heard of it. But, I will caution you about urinary support. My dog was put on cranberry pills from the university she was being treated at for a very serious disease at the time. She had yeast in her bladder from the massive doses of prednisone she was on at the time. She is fine now, but when she was sent home I continued the cranberry pills for a long time without thinking about discontinuing them. During a routine urine check later, they found a very high acid reading in her urine. Of course the pills were stopped. Just be aware of what can happen with something like that and be sure to monitor by doctors.

Honored Contributor

My dog actually has been on the cranberry pills (Crananidin) for a few years and no issues except he still gets his bladder infections. We recently switched to mannose instead and that hasn't helped either. I never switch to anything without my vet's approval or recommendation since he has issues and the change to the urinary tract support food was her recommendation since he has no physical issue as to why he's getting re-occurring bladder infections (based on an ultrasound). He gets blood drawn and urinalysis done at least twice a year so of course he is always monitored for changes.

Regular Contributor

My Shih Tzu had bladderstones. Our vet put him on Royal Canine Urinary S/O. After six months his urine analysis was clear. He is still on it almost a year later. It's very expensive but he loves it. This was the hardest dog to feed and now he eats happily, running to his bowl. Hope that helps. Betty
Honored Contributor

I did at one time. My dog was supposed to be on L/D and/or U/D for the rest of his life. I fed that for about 2 years and he gained a ton of weight and ended up some big time allergy problems. I didn't free feed either, because I didn't want my other dogs eating his food. The ingredient list is absolutely horrible. He went to a new vet, got some help with treating his allergy symptoms and I put him on a home made prey model raw diet. Basically raw meaty bones from the grocery store and some organ meats. I've been feeding it for almost 10 years now and he's going to be 13 this year. Hasn't had any other medical problems other than his allergies since then. I've looked at all of the urinary foods and would never feed them, except on a very short term basis. And I would never feed Royal Canin, their ingredient lists are not quality food for dogs or cats on any of their foods.

Science Diet L/D

Brewers Rice, Pork Fat, Dried Egg Product, Soybean Meal, Powdered Cellulose, Flaxseed, Pork Protein Isolate, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lactic Acid, Soybean Oil, Potassium Chloride, Dried Beet Pulp, Calcium Carbonate, Glycerol Monostearate, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K)), Choline Chloride, Iodized Salt, L-Arginine, Taurine, DL-Methionine, minerals (Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Carnitine, L-Tryptophan, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Natural Flavors.

Science Diet U/D

Brewers Rice, Corn Starch, Pork Fat, Dried Egg Product, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Lactic Acid, Potassium Citrate, Soybean Oil, Calcium Carbonate, L-Lysine, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Beet Pulp, L-Threonine, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Carnitine, L-Tryptophan, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Natural Flavors.

No meat at all, it's basically rice, fat and vitamins with filler powdered cellulose.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

My dog was just prescribed Science Diet c/d food. She loves the canned food but won't touch the dry unless she's desperate. The regular canned food I bought from the vet was hard and crumbly. I had to mix it with water. I found a stew-like version at Pet Smart and she loves that too. It's much easier to deal with. My dog has struvite crystals and needs her urine acidified. I also give her vitamin C.