Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had dental implants or a bridge?

I have two partials (upper/lower) ... not really any problem once I got use to them.

Got them about six years ago.

What I've been really pleased with is that I just had the rest of my teeth bonded because of thinning enamel ... fantastic job.  Worth every penny!

Valued Contributor

I had an implant about 10 years ago, including a bone graft.  I never had a problem with it.  It was painful for one day after the surgery; one Vicodin and I was back to normal in no time.  It cost me $4,000, and it's not covered by insurance (I live in NYC -- everything here is astronomically expensive -- no matter what it is).  I personally would never get a bridge, even if I have to spend mega-bucks for another implant.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9

I do think that filing down neighboring teeth does weaken them, particularly if they already have fillings.  One implant is a one tooth deal and does not affect the teeth on either side if done properly.

Respected Contributor

I had one implant (lower) and yes, it is expensive, but many people spend that dollar amount on one vacation.    This year I spent over $9000 on one dog's operation.   

You won't regret the implant--do not make "money' the reason for making such an important choice.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

We were in a car accident and I cracked a number of teeth.  After suffering with root canals and uncomfortable crowns, (due to ever changing gums) I rejoiced when my oral surgeon pulled (not at the same time) 3 lower molars and replaced them with implants.  I will be finished with #3 within 2 months.  I have never been happier with my mouth.  My husband is also in the midst of his third implant.

For personal reasons we chose implants.  Yes they are expensive and we were not thrilled our insurance considered it a cosmetic procedure.

If someone is happy with his/her bridge, good for him/her.  It's a personal decision. I would never insult them for choosing a bridge over an implant.

Even here, I would not expect those of us who chose implants to be insulted.

You may want to check with your MEDICAL INSURANCE CO to see if they will cover your implants due to accidental damage.  Since the damage was caused by an auto accident, you might submit the claims to the auto insurance fist. Your auto insurance might cover them too,

i worked for a health insurance co for over 25 years and I have seen dental claims covered by medical if caused by an accident.  You should read your Certificate of Medical Coverage.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

As for cost effective, having dental procedures done at dental schools are cheaper.

That is indeed true if you are close enough to a school and can get accepted.  There are conditions and I am not sure what they are.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

As for cost effective, having dental procedures done at dental schools are cheaper.

@Mz iMac this is true, but our local State University dental school, there is a 2+ year wait for an appointment. I guess many people have the same idea!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

I read every response to my questions, not sure which way I will go but I will make sure I  obtain detailed information on each procedure.  Post op complications are a big concern for me due to having Type 2 Diabetes.    Thanks again

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did it,  very expensive, because there is always additional teeth involved.  Also bone problems...................Every case is different.

$4,000 when all was done.  Three yrs have passed, and no problems.  Dental implant........................

@Goodie2shoes

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes

I had a rather long response prepared yesterday and I lost it before it posted.

I think if would be of value to you to look at a website called RealSelf and in their search bar, type dental implant verses regular bridge.

As another poster said, if at all possible, don't let money be a determining factor.  Work with experienced practitioners who will tell you if you are a candidate for an implant and what all may be involved in your particular situation.

Usually when you have an implant, you will see two different dentists, one who places the implant and another who does the crown(s).  I can not stress enough that both have to be highly experienced.

I have had both procedures you are considering.  In fact the three implants I had finished this Spring replaced a 3 unit fixed bridge that failed after 15 years.  I originally got the 3 unit fixed bridge to replace one extracted tooth.  I was not a good candidate for an implant 15 years ago because then I was a smoker and there was a higher failure rate.

If you are deemed a good candidate for an implant, having been there and done that, I would encourage you to highly consider it.   It is much easier to maintain one implant then it is to properly care for a bridge and have to worry if you may lose the abutment teeth under the bridge over the years.