Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had dental implants or a bridge?

I am currently dealing with new implants.  Wouldn't want to scare you - but make sure whoever you are going to knows what they are doing.  Went to a dentist last August for a full restoration, one I had found after reading reviews. It turned out that this guy did not have enough experience and the implants never took. After seven weeks of alot of pain and the dentist not being able to diagnose or correct the pain I went to an oral surgeon who diagnosed an infection in the jaw that was now critical and put me in the hospital for two days and removed a portion of my jaw.  Then I had to have intravenous antibiotics three times a day for two months and an oral antibiotic for three months.  I then had to wait two months to make sure the infection did not return.  I was able to have the procedure redone two weeks ago with the oral surgeon.  Due to bone loss the treatment plan had changed.  I can tell what a difference it makes to go with someone that is very experienced and that you trust, i have had very little pain and so far no complications.  Implants are 2000 to 2300 each, at least in my neck of the woods.  And I have been told by three dentists that if an implant does not take, they will redo or give you a full refund. ( I did get a full refund from the incompetent dentist.)

Despite all of this I am a firm believer in them.  I had some done twently years ago and still have those.  The bridge work did not last as long as the implants.  My advice, if you can afford it do it.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I have a bridge. It seemed the easiest way to go at the time. No problems with it. My husband has one too. I know many people that have implants with no problems. @sunshine45 is the thing you are talking about called a flapper?

oh yes @colliemom4.....that jogged my memory.....it is called a FLIPPER. thanks Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had dental implants or a bridge?nan

I have had 8 implants for many years 12-18 and got another one about 2 years ago.  That makes 9 implants.  Had never even a moment's problem.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Husband wanted an implant but that couldn't be done due to location and other issues. so he had to have a bridge.

Hates it, never wears it........he eventually lost it. 

There are bridges that can be removed and others that can't be removed. Yeah I know a couple of people that had the removable kind and they hated them.

Respected Contributor

Technically speaking, a bridge is always fixed; i.e., anchored in the mouth and cannot be removed.  What you are calling a "removable bridge" is a removable partial denture.

Honored Contributor

We were in a car accident and I cracked a number of teeth.  After suffering with root canals and uncomfortable crowns, (due to ever changing gums) I rejoiced when my oral surgeon pulled (not at the same time) 3 lower molars and replaced them with implants.  I will be finished with #3 within 2 months.  I have never been happier with my mouth.  My husband is also in the midst of his third implant.

For personal reasons we chose implants.  Yes they are expensive and we were not thrilled our insurance considered it a cosmetic procedure.

If someone is happy with his/her bridge, good for him/her.  It's a personal decision. I would never insult them for choosing a bridge over an implant.

Even here, I would not expect those of us who chose implants to be insulted.

Honored Contributor

I may have to have a tooth pulled in the not too distant future and have been debating this with myself too.

There are pros & cons for both.  Because of the lower cost & less invasive nature I have been leaning towards a bridge.  However I wonder about the teeth on either side of the replacement.  They have to be filed down and if you already have amalgam filings in them won't there be mercury dust being inhaled?

Esteemed Contributor

I was reading about implants and it said some people are allergic to the metal and that causes them a lot of problems.

Valued Contributor

I had upper bridgework, and they did a terrible job. I wish I had gotten an inplant, but it is a bit more money, and if you have sinus problems, there could be problems with upper bridges. Also, some people don't have enough to work with to get an implant. Choose the option that sucks less. I advise to make your decision based on long term benefits. I was straped financially and working on my pre-doc at the time. Heal fast.

Honored Contributor

If you have (had) a tooth pulled, it's better to go with an implant because it helps maintain the bone. 

If you let a tooth *go* and don't replace it with an implant, you'll eventurally have bone loss.