Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had dental implants or a bridge?

I have one implant, next to last bottom molar, and plan to do the same on the other side.  I am completely happy with it.  It feels and looks like a natural tooth.  I did extensive research of materials and doctor.  I would not fool around with any doctor who has not had reams of experience.  The success rate is in the high 90%.  A sonicare electric toothbrush and proper flossing is a big help in keeping all healthy.  Much more permanent when properly done and cared for than a bridge and well worth the money.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Implants are very expensive and sometimes they fail and have to be removed - of course no refund to you when they fail. I would never pay for one.I have 2 bridges and I am content with them.

I believe everyone's circumstances can be different. I have a missing side tooth. The teeth next to it are not strong enough to hold a bridge. I would love to have one, but in my case it won't work. People need to get all the info for their particular problem!

Honored Contributor

I had terrible dental care and I was phobic and as a result my teeth were not in good shape. When I finally did address it the situation was dire.

I ended up with a permanent bridge held by 4 implants on the top and a removable one attached to two implants on the bottom.

The work was not cheap but since my dentist is associated with a local dental school he did the work there and the cost was "reasonable".

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I have several implants, some of which are many, many years old by now. Never have given me a bit of trouble.  I have a temporary bridge also, which I hate.  Would love to have done implants, but the bone graft didn't take in that area.  I highly recommend implants.  It's a long process, but well worth it, in my opinion.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Justice4all wrote:

I have one implant, next to last bottom molar, and plan to do the same on the other side.  I am completely happy with it.  It feels and looks like a natural tooth.  I did extensive research of materials and doctor.  I would not fool around with any doctor who has not had reams of experience.  The success rate is in the high 90%.  A sonicare electric toothbrush and proper flossing is a big help in keeping all healthy.  Much more permanent when properly done and cared for than a bridge and well worth the money.

ITA.  There are pros and cons to each.  First and foremost, do your research and discuss your medical history and oral health status with your dentist to make an informed choice. Certain medical conditions factor into whether you would be a good candidate for an implant. Whichever you choose, keep in mind that either choice will fail if you don't maintain good oral health.

Trusted Contributor

I have a bridge & multiple crowns that are 30+ years old. I've had to have them recemented a few times, but other than that, I've had no problems with them.

Trusted Contributor

30 years ago I had an upper and lower made for back teeth, the lower I tossed 29 years ago. It is hard to eat anything while they are floating around in your mouth.   Last year I tossed the upper, 2nd tooth broke off that one.

Very afraid of dentist. Hard to find a nice one.  Don't have lots of dollars, so dentist is always way done the list.   I at least brush and floss all the time.

Honored Contributor

i have a bridge due to a broken tooth......that darn bagel!!! prior to that i had had absolutely no teeth problems, not even a cavity.

the dentist offered me three options......a removeable tooth (cant remember the exact name for it), a bridge, or an implant. i went with the bridge. the implant choice was EXPENSIVE and my mom had had an implant done a few years ago and it has now caused her to have recurring sinus infections and that made me shy away from the implant.

the dentist told me that the bridge can last up to around 25 years and i was happy to hear that. so far, no problems at all and it is easy to floss around it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have a bridge. It seemed the easiest way to go at the time. No problems with it. My husband has one too. I know many people that have implants with no problems. @sunshine45 is the thing you are talking about called a flapper?

Honored Contributor

Husband wanted an implant but that couldn't be done due to location and other issues. so he had to have a bridge.

Hates it, never wears it........he eventually lost it.