Honored Contributor

Has anyone ever had a parent evaluated for dementia?

My mother in law is supposed to have that done and I wonder what kind of questions are asked. She is in a retirement community and if the doctor's diagnosis is dementia she will be moved to a different unit. She is in a Methodist Home and never has to move even if she runs out of money. She has always been difficult but I don't see it as dementia.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had a parent evaluated for dementia?

I forgot to add that my sister in in law who has a Masters degree in Social Work feels that there is a dementia problem.

Super Contributor

I have not had any personal experience with dementia evaluations, but a friend's hubby has been diagnosed with dementia. All I can relay to you is that the questions seemed to include simple things like who is president, what month is it, how old are you, what is the season to name just a few. He was asked to draw a clock. He made a circle, but put the numbers in backwards going clockwise, but starting with 12 instead of 1. They also performed a physical exam including bloodwork. Those were a few of the steps to originally diagnose the dementia. Unfortunately, he has now progressed rapidly and cannot answer these simple questions.

I know this is not much information, but it is the only info I have regarding dementia. Good luck, and I hope you have a good and knowledgeable physician to assess her problems.

Honored Contributor

Shorelady: Thank you so much. You have really helped.

Honored Contributor

Here's a chart that helped me when Mom was diagnosed as mid-stages of dementia.

shorelady had good examples...lots of tactical/ memory questions will be adminstered. Has your mother had a recent injury? That can escalate the symptoms of dementia, as well.

The nurses in my mother's nursing home pointed out, if they get upset/angry, might want to check her hearing & see if she needs a new eye prescription. Also they might get upset because we're getting impatient. I know that's hard to hear, but when the same story is told over & over & over again, we might be unconsciously getting upset which parlays to the parent.

My mother is mid-stage. When it first started, I'm not proud to say I got upset...I missed my old Mom, you know? After I understood what Mom's new limitations were to be, it became much, much easier. Acceptance & patience on my part.

Good luck...and do some research on the web. Google 'stages of dementia' or 'dementia tests'....it will help you in the long run.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Honored Contributor

Sidsmom: I did googled as you suggested. My mother in law has always been difficult and I am not sure that 25 years ago (as long as I have known her) she could not do some of those things. Thank you very much.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have been through this with my Dad. He wouldn't see a Psychiatrist but we were finally able to talk him into seeing a Neuro Psychologist. I guess that title just sounded better to him. There are different king of dementia. My dad was having a lot of short term memory problems. I also felt he was depressed. The tests did show dementia. He was put on Aricept for the memory problems and that has slowed that down so much you barely notice it. He doesn't repeat himself nearly as much. When he went into the Nursing Home he was very angry. Actually he had been angry at home. I always felt it was due to untreated depression. Sure enough, when they got his depression under control....he started being himself again and we found out that his dementia was (at that time) only stage 1 but it appeared at first to be a 2-3. Come to find out the depression was and can have many of the same symptoms. The tests are important. Dad has been in the home now for about 2 1/2 yrs. Although he has failed physically and is getting more feeble (he is 86 and has had 10 major surgeries) mentally he can hold a very adult conversation and is much more pleasant. He has just entered stage 2 recently but the Aricept has really been a God send and we can have long and intelligent conversations. Marp put me on to that. I am forever grateful to her for caring enough to suggest it. The charts were a big help to me too. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

My dad had progressive dementia for years before he passed away. The last several years he was on Aricept but I never noticed a difference. It was a waste of money IMO. OP, its going to be a challenging and rough ride if your mother is diagnosed with this disease. I wish you luck.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

My mother in law is in a retirement community. It has a continuum of care and if the diagnosis is correct she will just be moved to the dementia unit. That unit is one of the best in Michigan and she never has to leave. That is one concern we do not have. I worry because she has always been difficult and will not co-operate with the doctor.

Honored Contributor

ncascade: Is your mom to be tested soon? Would like to hear the results...let us know, if you feel comfortable to share. sidsmom