Regular Contributor

Re: Has anyone else lost half of their family members?

I lost my father when I was 12 and my mother when I was 18, I so wish I could have at least one of my parents in my adult life to see how mine and my brother and sister's lives turned out. I am in my late 60's now and would give anything to have had a parent in most of my life. 

Honored Contributor

Yes. And it's not easy. My only brother died when he was 28. Ten years later my mom died, then her twin sister (who never had children, so my "second" mom), both suddenly from unusual illnesses. My two uncles were both widowed in their 50's - I was in my twenties. My two older cousins died young, one at 50 and one at around 60. Everyone in the family I grew up with is gone except for three male cousins I don't keep in touch with (sadly). 

@Ramineh - You can see you're not the only one. A lot of us are the same. When my mom died DS had just turned one. I remember being at the cemetery and remembering such happy times. I didn't know how I'd get through it all. It was right before Christmas and I had two young children. I made it through.  

Honored Contributor

Hadn't thought about it that way, but I know it may very well be that way. 

But I do realize that as new family members come, others leave.  I know it is life. The good with the bad.  We can always keep the good in our hearts and minds and never lose that, while able. 

Frequent Contributor

I have lost both parents my husband, my brother, sister-in-law my mother-in- law and my niece. I have no other siblings but I have other nieces and newphews.  I became a widow at 47.

Respected Contributor

By the time I was in my mid 30s lost parents (father left when I was a baby) and grandparents.  Only had a half sister that I lost this year that I was not close to through most of my life.  I think holidays always make the loss feel worse.  I cringe when November comes and happy to see January.  

Honored Contributor

It's just me and my brother that's left. But our "new" family is now growing with the birth of grandchildren. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I am in my 60s and an only child and have no one left.  My Mother did not want children but was 32 when I was born. I was not close to cousins, so don't hear or interact with them. I haven't made out a will  yet as don't know who to leave my assets to ?I  have no husband or children.  Alone nearly 20 years now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ramineh    A friend of mine lost two husbands, all three of her children, and one grandchild.  Her last child, her only daughter, passed away the end of May.  I can't even begin to fathom how she has survived all these losses.  

Esteemed Contributor

A little over half for me.  Husband, both parents, three siblings and one child.  Seems to be very common I think.

Respected Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

My mama (2018), daddy (1997) & oldest brother (1999) have all passed away.  All that is left is my other 2 older brothers & me.  When I get sad, I just remember that some day we will all be together again in heaven with our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ.

@SurferWife I still have my dad, and both brothers, but my mom, in-laws and one of DH's brothers are gone. I also hold to the hope of seeing them in heaven some day...and what a glorious day that will be...to see them again, and to see Jesus!