Contributor

Re: Has anyone else lost half of their family members?

@deja vu I’m deeply sorry for your losses. Thank you very much for sharing your story.
Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

Both parents, my only sibling and one of my two children

I've lost both of my parents as well as my husband.  And now one of my children is extremely ill.  This can be the worse loss of all, to lose one of your children. May God be with you .... all this is heartbreaking.

Contributor

@deedledeedeedle I know exactly what you mean . Each time we lose a family member we lose a witness to our life and our experiences, someone who held part of our history and memories. So sorry for your losses.
Valued Contributor

The longer a person lives the more losses they suffer. During the last year We have lost 3 family members and a close friend leaving my mom the only person left of her generation in our family. She lost her husband, brother and cousin. These have been very difficult losses for her. She has begun grief counseling and has found a counselor she really likes.  I'm sorry for your losses. You are not alone and maybe speaking with someone might help. 

Contributor

@HiLo praying for a speedy recovery for your child. Very sorry for your losses.
Esteemed Contributor

I have lost my father, mother, a daughter and a son.  I also lost three very close friends to breast cancer who could have been family considering how close we all were.  All seven are always on my mind and in my heart.  Heart                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Contributor

Thank you very much everyone for taking the time to share your experiences, for the generosity of your spirit and kindness. I am profoundly saddened by all the stories and sorry for everyone’s losses. Sending everyone love and strength.
Honored Contributor

My parents were divorced when I was born.  I was living with my mother til I was 3 months old then went to live with my Dad, his mother who was already old and her daughter who was already in her 50’s.

My Dad died when I was 16 and my mother died when I was in my 40’s.  I also lost my sister not long after my mother.

My husband died in my arms, never was sick.  Rather than dwell that he died suddenly, I prefer to feel that God gave me the gift of being with him when he died.  I’d left my house and came back in to get a book to read.  

I heard a noise and ran down into his office.  I know it was quick.  I know he didn’t call out to me.  I was able to kiss his lips and blow my air into his body while it was still warm.  No words of anger were spoken that morning; only a kiss good-bye.  He died knowing I loved him more than life itself.

I was also with my mother when she died.

I’m a firm believer that life is what you make it.  

One of of my favorite quotes up in my kitchen is “We must give up the life we expect to live in order to live the life that we are meant to live.”

Valued Contributor

@Ramineh  You are not alone. ...im so sorry for your losses and  for everyone who replied. I lost my mom suddenly, my dad, stepfather, grandparents all in the last 5 years. I am now 52 and have wondered the same as you. Most of my friends still have their parents and I feel too "young" to be an orphan. Then I read other stories and its important to share them and connect to people. I try and keep my  family with me daily in thought, action and traditions. Hugs to you 💖

Honored Contributor

It is not uncommon for children of older adults to be left alone.  When cousins are as old or older than most parents, they all die off too.

I always think about this when people are so thrilled over older people having kids, because I have to wonder at what age will they be without family.  And no, money doesn't make up for family.