Respected Contributor

Re: Has This Happened To You

That was door-to-door panhandling! You would’ve been throwing your money away to gI’ve them anything. If you want to help people, donate to legitimate charities.

I never open the door unkess I know who is there. In my community people knock on the door to see if anyone’s home. If no one is home, then they can break in. If someone’s home and answers the door, they make up some lame excuse for knocking on the door. Sad to say, people have to be very careful these days. 

Respected Contributor

Collecting money for college ....at Christmas time. LOL 

Honored Contributor

If you are home alone, please don't even open the door unless you know who is outside (and you know them well).  Deliveries can be left outside 99% of the time.  Maybe they were "just" panhandling, it could have been so much worse.  If it happens again, call the police to alert them.

Don't EVER feel guilty for protecting yourself.

Occasional Contributor

I've opened the door once when expecting a delivery and it was someone trying to buy mineral rights to our property for very little. Needless to say it ended with a slammed door in his face.

It's troubling to think that this boy is learning to beg from his father! His father should instill in him to not expect others to fulfill his dreams and to expect to work his way throught college. 

So glad your are safe.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  With this going on, it might be a good idea to discuss the event with your neighbors and make plans to alert each other to any future panhandlers.

Esteemed Contributor

Are you kidding?  With all the stories about home invasions and break ins you actually opened your door to two men that you did not know standing on your porch in the dark?  To be honest what were you thinking?

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  They were obviously panhandling and thought they would hit you with the "I really want an education", hoping it was your soft spot. Good you said no.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

Sounds like a new type of scam. I would not have opened the door. 

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

“Sure, I’ll give you $50 when you come back and do some chores for me:  yard/garage cleanup, trash hauling, window cleaning, etc.”

”Donation”?  NEVER!

Probably a scam, but beyond that, what is that father teaching the boy?

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2,

Jordan2, I would never OPEN the door, at __any time__ when alone in our home..unless, ``I have notice of company, friends coming over. I do ask for a phone call JUST prior to he-she-they coming. 

When my husband is here for 4 hours three days a week, he answers the door.

For any other day or time, then it WILL BE my husband, ...and we live in a relatively very safe area..VERY SAFE, but there are people from OTHER areas that are those who make the rounds. Nights? Absolutely NO!