Respected Contributor

Re: Has This Happened To You

@chessylady wrote:

I might give a dollar or two if I was in a good mood. But with a speech like that, I wouldn't give anything. The man probably wasn't his father but some scam artist who recruited him. You have nothing to apologize for. I don't open my door after dark. I also have a security door in addition to my regular door.

@chessylady I don't even open my door in the daytime if I don't know the person. Bad things can happen in daylight, be careful.

Respected Contributor

I would never open the door unless I knew the person on the other end.  If I did by accident I would say I could not help and just close the door.  Maybe then call police.

Regular Contributor

When it's dark, I don't answer the door.  I will only open the door if I'm expecting company.  Please call before you visit.

Valued Contributor

Please don't open the door unless you know who's there.  That can be dangerous.  You shouldn't feel guilty at all.  They have financial aid for people going to college.  Why should you contribute to this kid who you don't even know?  Someone came to my door last week claiming to be from National Grid.  He claimed he had a survey.  I spoke to him without opening the door and told him I wasn't interested.  He said I could take the survey without opening the door.  I told him no, but he stayed on the porch.  I told him to get off my porch NOW or I would call the police.  He left.

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

I might give a dollar or two if I was in a good mood. But with a speech like that, I wouldn't give anything. The man probably wasn't his father but some scam artist who recruited him. You have nothing to apologize for. I don't open my door after dark. I also have a security door in addition to my regular door.

@chessylady I don't even open my door in the daytime if I don't know the person. Bad things can happen in daylight, be careful.

Yes, it's always wise to be cautious.  I might give "a dollar or two" to someone on the street, but never ever to anyone who appears at the door of my home.  That opens up too many possibilities -  from them seeing me as an easy mark and returning for more money, all the way up to a possible home invasion (with lots of unpleasant scenarios in between).

Appearing at my door the way these people did?  I would shut that down right away.  No conversation, no explanation, no excuse, door firmly closed.

Honored Contributor

The only people I give money to who I don't know are through charity donations.

I NEVER open my door if I don't know the person on the other side.  Doesn't matter if it's high noon or midnight.  

Jordan, I hope you listen up to everyone here and take heed of their warnings.

AND, you should definitely report this incident to your police department.  PRONTO!

Honored Contributor

I would have told them they were trespassing and that I'd appreciate them gone before I let the pit bull out.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I love my RING doorbell (was recently a TSV).  You can see exactly who is at your door - even if they don't ring the bell (it detects motion too).  You can talk to them without opening the door.  You can see them - they can't see you.  It even works if you are not in the house.

Highly recommend!

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 I would never give money to somebody who was out begging for money (which is exactly what they were doing), did they offer any kind of documentation that this was a legit cause, it was probably 2 scammers out to scam people out of what money they were wiling to give, and then they laughed all the way to the bank.  I would have alerted the authorities.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@Jordan2 I would never give money to somebody who was out begging for money (which is exactly what they were doing), did they offer any kind of documentation that this was a legit cause, it was probably 2 scammers out to scam people out of what money they were wiling to give, and then they laughed all the way to the bank.  I would have alerted the authorities.

@CareBears, the kid had some kind of tag he was wearing around his neck, I really didn't get a good look at it. I think $50 is insane to ask someone to "donate", I would sooner give a couple of bucks.