Honored Contributor

Re: Has This Happened To You

Scam season runs 24/7/365 these days.   

I reminded my trucker daughter to be on the alert when she hit the road this week, as scammers work the truck stops hard during Thanksgiving and Christmas.  

There’s always someone asking for money because their car is broke down or out of gas and they are trying to get home for a funeral, etc.   Then there’s the hustlers who are trying to sell stolen goods to unsuspecting people in the truck stops.

I donate money to charities who do help those in need, but NEVER give to anyone who approaches me with a story for money.   

Esteemed Contributor

First, I wouldn't have opened the door to a stranger.

However, if I had opened the door, I would have said 1) don't keep any cash on-hand; 2) only donate to certain charities by check so I have a receipt.  Then, I would have said to please leave the property and slammed the door.

Then I would have called the PD to notify them of a possible scam and requested they send an officer to check them out.  I believe panhandling is a crime.

Honored Contributor

WOW...I probably would not have opened the door but if I had...my answer would be no!  I can't believe people, ---why in the world would they think a stranger would want to contribute to their son's education, especially by going door to door, who really knows that they were going to use the money for his education?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have no soliciting signs posted in several places so I no longer get beggars at my door. I use to get them prior to the signs.  To answer your question, no, I would not give them anything. 

@SeaMaiden, how do you get them to stop!!!  Just last week a guy from Spectrum came up to back gate. I was in mudrm but yelled out asking what he wanted.  Eddy was beside me, quiet but alert.  He was from Spectrum.  I have Fios.  Anyways, he starts his spiel and I immediately stopped himm asking if he read the sign he was standing next to. He replied 'yes' and continued. I yelled to him it reads (aside from dog bites) no soliciting. Then he just started again. Told him to leave the property immediately, which, fortunately for him he did.  

My sign just says Beware Of Dog - No Soliciting - Dog Bites.  Thought that would suffice, but apparently it didn't deter. What does your sign read that works?????

Honored Contributor

People who go door to door are looking to see who is home, check out the type of locks on the doors, look for alarm systems and security cameras.   They also want to see who has cash in the house, and who actually has dogs.   

@Jordan2, you and your neighborhood were being scoped by possible thieves.   Do not be surprised if there are some holiday burglaries in the next few weeks.   

Honored Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thanx, gonna have to add a couple!  

Super Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have no soliciting signs posted in several places so I no longer get beggars at my door. I use to get them prior to the signs.  To answer your question, no, I would not give them anything. 

@SeaMaiden, how do you get them to stop!!!  Just last week a guy from Spectrum came up to back gate. I was in mudrm but yelled out asking what he wanted.  Eddy was beside me, quiet but alert.  He was from Spectrum.  I have Fios.  Anyways, he starts his spiel and I immediately stopped himm asking if he read the sign he was standing next to. He replied 'yes' and continued. I yelled to him it reads (aside from dog bites) no soliciting. Then he just started again. Told him to leave the property immediately, which, fortunately for him he did.  

My sign just says Beware Of Dog - No Soliciting - Dog Bites.  Thought that would suffice, but apparently it didn't deter. What does your sign read that works?????

Here is a pic of my sign, right above my Ring doorbell camera.  (Sorry, the pic isn't very good, as it is nighttime now.). It has stopped 99.999% of solicitations over the last few years.  My camera catches them reading it and walking away without ringing the doorbell.DB35E545-7AFB-4969-B42B-5F962953B841.jpeg

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Respected Contributor

@c_la_vee wrote:

@Jordan2,  as someone else pointed out, that is most likely not his son. The boy is there for sympathy points.

I am getting to where I don't open the door any more to strangers, I can see them through the door or through a camera and it amazes me that some actually get angry! Cat Surprised

We also have ordinances but from time to time we still get someone at the door. The police here told us to call them for any little thing, even something like this but I don't bother, I know that other neighbors will. The police said they will question them if we call so you might want to call them.

The times that I did answer the door, I did what my husband does, he tells them that we never donate money at the door,-ever-,  but to leave brochures or information about their charity and he will look them up to find out more and if we like it, we will donate to them through the website. 

That took the spiels out of their mouths and they just walked off. Pity because we really would have donated.

However, best to not open the door at all. Cat Wink

@c_la_vee

People can scam you through a website, as well!

Contributor

I have had it happen, and I did not give any money. And when I go to the door after dark, I take my two large dogs with me.  They are actually friendly but they bark.