Honored Contributor

Re: Has This Happened To You

@panda1234 wrote:

NEVER, and I would not even answer the door unless I was expecting someone over. 

Same here.

Respected Contributor

NO, NO, NO.   I would not give money to those two , NO.    And to sound like a broken record, do NOT open your door to anyone you don't know.  DON'T!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2

That situation sounds a tad scary----our local news did a piece on all the scams and schemes that are out there....Those people could be casing out your house for a future robbery....People pose and pretend that they are representing different charities, church groups, pose as kids selling candy to raise money for a school organization..........There are a lot of scammers or burlgars out there waiting and looking for an opportunity..............

I only answer the door to family/friends/neighbors I know....or the UPS guy if Im expecting a package.....the rest--- I dont answer my door.....-----.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

@Jordan2,  as someone else pointed out, that is most likely not his son. The boy is there for sympathy points.

I am getting to where I don't open the door any more to strangers, I can see them through the door or through a camera and it amazes me that some actually get angry! Cat Surprised

We also have ordinances but from time to time we still get someone at the door. The police here told us to call them for any little thing, even something like this but I don't bother, I know that other neighbors will. The police said they will question them if we call so you might want to call them.

The times that I did answer the door, I did what my husband does, he tells them that we never donate money at the door,-ever-,  but to leave brochures or information about their charity and he will look them up to find out more and if we like it, we will donate to them through the website. 

That took the spiels out of their mouths and they just walked off. Pity because we really would have donated.

However, best to not open the door at all. Cat Wink

Respected Contributor

Use the money he was asking for and get a peephole installed in the door so you can see who's out there.

Respected Contributor

No. Had I erred in answering the door, I would have shut it immediately and not engaged in any conversation. You owed those two no reply and inadvertently endangered yourself.

Super Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

Use the money he was asking for and get a peephole installed in the door so you can see who's out there.

@Scooby Doo. . . .    Best answer I've read so far!!! 

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Honored Contributor

No ... I live in a high-rise.  No door-to-door solciting allowed.

Honored Contributor

I don't answer the door if it's dark out, unless I'm expecting someone.  I wouldn't feel guilty at all.  Assuming the two really were looking for college money, there are funds for low income families for college money.  There are ways to get college money other than basically pan handling.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

First I wouldn’t have opened the door!!

Second I wouldn’t have given a dime!!

I give quite a bit of charity.Never to people I don’t know who ask for it!! It sounds awful strange that someone would ring your bell & ask you to contribute to his son’s college fund.JMO but that sounds like a scam to me. You did the right thing!!