Respected Contributor

Re: Has Social Media Turned Seniors Into 'Twits'?

Facebook and other social media do not change one's character; rather they broadcast it to a wider audience. If you are a "twit" it's easier for more people to notice when you post something online.

Occasional Contributor

I use FB to keep up with family, old classmates and friends I grew up with BITD! If your pals on FB are goofy than you indeed will get a lot of goofiness. Same with Twitter.. I subscribe to friends and family and news and media peeps on Twitter. I never get into the popular goofs because they seem to attract the low life's. I also belong to many MCM groups and a few book groups. 

Remember the old saw "you are what you eat"? Well this applies to really anything! 

If you are having a problem with any of the social media consider deleting certain friends. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My concern is how social media is turning people of all ages into psychiatric patients.  It's becoming more and more common for patients to come in with social media-related issues.

An awful lot of kids coming in to be seen these days.

It also concerns me that when I go to speak to a youngster and his/her parent, the parent is on his/her device and is in no hurry to get off it.

Hey, how 'bout putting your phone away and spending some time talking with your kid?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd. I've noticed that couples obviously on a date, to get to know each other, paying  more attention to their cell than conversation. Maybe it's a sad commentary about today's relationships & future ones. I insisted all electronics are off the table during meal time (at home or at restaurants). I find it rude.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

Please let's not get into politics, so that this thread isn't 'poofed.'  Woman Wink  Woman Happy

Did you actually look at the link and read the story??

Don't lecture us on what you post

@software: First, l want to say my statement re: not getting poofed was not directed at you.

Yes, l did look at the link and read the story. Whenever l post a link, l always read the entire article before l post it. I would assume that everyone does this before posting a link.

And l'm not lecturing anybody. I would like this article to start a dialog among us, without it being poofed for becoming political, since a prominent politician is briefly mentioned, and pictured at the beginning of the article.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I notice it's from the NYTimes.   Not very trustworthy on their news or opinion pieces.

Honored Contributor

I am a "senior", but my only "social media" postings are on this BB, does that count?  As for being a "twit", I'm sure I've had my moments.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This was a good topic, fun to read the comments. Humerous little article by an interesting writer/author who used just the right photos and people relevant to his senior "twithood" article since they are celebrities still needing to be noticed. But then it is the NYT and for me, not relevant! As a senior way past 65, I am not part of the "twithood" who use FB, instagram, twitter, et al; I read and comment on a community listserv, forums like here, etc.  Needless to say we all have read lots that is easy to type on a keyboard rather than speak it to another direct.  I was raised to think before speaking, today that means with keyboard or by mouth, and personally I think people today have too much diarrhea of the mouth, or give too much information.  If I babble without thinking it is usually from emotion and it is neither wise nor self respecting so I stick to the default, I think twice before speaking, just like I did for this little comment.

Honored Contributor

IMO the guy who wrote it is a twit.  He implies our elders should not be on social media, who does he think he is to deny or at least want to deny an entire segment of the population access to social media?

Think of all the grandparents who follow Instagram to keep in touch with their family, or who use FB for the same reason. 

Has he been on twitter?  Because there are a lot of people of all ages there who would fit into the twit category.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I notice it's from the NYTimes.   Not very trustworthy on their news or opinion pieces.

In your Opinion. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown