Honored Contributor

Re: Has Social Media Turned Seniors Into 'Twits'?

I have family all around the world. My father was one of 16 children and I have 52 first cousins. My stepchildren are in England. We use Facebook to all keep in touch with each other. It keeps us close as a family despite the thousands of miles that separate us. We are not twits and if someone does act out in any way the others are certain to confront them about it.

Esteemed Contributor

No, I don't think social media has turned seniors or anyone else into "twits". 

I do think the impersonalization of being behind a device screen removed the shackles of convention leading many to expose themselves as who they really are or who they want to be. 

I believe many that don't hesitate to post something on social media would never say the same things in a real life social setting.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

Facebook for us is used for our hobby groups only. We don't communicate with our daughter on there. I said it a hundred times IMO Twitter is the ultimate gutter platform. And there will be those that differ and that's okay, but I still believe Twitter for the most part is the ragged edge of hate.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

The NY Times is a twit.

Plenty of "twit" to go around on FB, not just seniors

@handygal2 wrote:

The author of this article thinks some older Americans, while trying to remain current by using Facebook and other social media, are behaving immaturely. 62% of people 65 and over use Facebook (more than l thought), but a much smaller percentage use Twitter and Instagram. I'm not in this demographic yet, but l don't use any of the above, lol.

Here's the link to an interesting article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/05/style/seniors-social-media.html?smid=nytcore-ipad-share&smprod=ny...

So is the head twit.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2. At 68 I am no longer on FB. I found the "business" of others tedious to read and the jokes became political and there was a lot of commentary and financial "showing off". I never learned how to Tweet or do Instagram. 

My personal feeling is that many of us (me included) are too attached to our devices. Watch folks walking down the the street or in restaurants...everyone's taking on their cells or texting. 

Respected Contributor

I don't use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Thus I can easily conclude that I am not a "twit".  

Respected Contributor

If you're a twit in real life, you'll probably be a twit on social media.  Social media has given people the freedom to be twits.  It's not limited to age though.

Esteemed Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I don't use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Thus I can easily conclude that I am not a "twit".  

Not so fast there LOL.  The title is "social media" and the article references using Facebook and other social media. 

The Q boards are social media and while I'm not saying there is evidence of anyone being a "twit" there is overwhelming evidence of "twittish" posts.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

I no longer do FB, the political stuff became way to ugly to stand.  I do tweet though.  Makes me feel good to "pop off" now and then.

I see so much disrespect for seniors in commercials etc.,always the butt of the joke. Just throwin that out there.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@handygal2. At 68 I am no longer on FB. I found the "business" of others tedious to read and the jokes became political and there was a lot of commentary and financial "showing off". I never learned how to Tweet or do Instagram. 

My personal feeling is that many of us (me included) are too attached to our devices. Watch folks walking down the the street or in restaurants...everyone's taking on their cells or texting. 

@Shanus social media is fun and serves as communication on so many levels, that being said, I was in a restaurant yesterday and observed two males staring at their phones responding to social media....very little communication between the two.  I also notice people walking down the street oblivious to their surroundings but focused on their phones, same situation at meetings.  There certainly is a time and place for social media, I'm just wondering to the degree it has replaced the desire for eye-to-eye contact and the ability to read the nuances of body language, or complex thoughts that are shared over lengthy conversations.