Super Contributor

Re: Has Applebee's filed for bankruptcy?

my mother and my daughter give us applebees gift cards for birthdays, anniversaries and christmas. i heve quite a few of them because we seldom if ever go there. i guess we'll have to use them up, now that i've heard this news. 

Honored Contributor

@Islandqueen1 wrote:

I haven't heard anything about bankrupcy.  I do know that all Applebees aren't alike.  There is one nearby that is really bad and there is another one that is excellent.  It all has to do with that specific location.  They have great deals for Military, active  and retired.  Monday's its 30% off and we usually go twice a month.  They are busy on Monday's, they are busy anyday after 4:30.

@Islandqueen1.  Except for a few training stores, Applebees restaurants are franchises, so they're independently owned and operated.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@depglass the one closest to me is open and slammed on Fri & Sat nights.

While out Christmas shopping, we stopped at the one in St. Johns. Food and service was great. Bill wasn't bad, either.

Honored Contributor

We have so few restaurants in my area that aren't pizza joints and fast food that my friends and I often go to Applebee's for lunch. Our local one is clean and you can get good service , a decent sandwich or salad.  It is not fine dining by any means, but around here it serves a purpose, and I would be sorry to see it go.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Applebees is a chain and therefore has chain quality food and preparation. This is why DH and I never eat at any chain and only go to privately owned resataurants to support the chefs and small business owners that own them. We will not go out to eat substandard food when DH is a chef and can prepare magnificent, quality dinners at home or in friend's establishments.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Islandqueen1 wrote:

I haven't heard anything about bankrupcy.  I do know that all Applebees aren't alike.  There is one nearby that is really bad and there is another one that is excellent.  It all has to do with that specific location.  They have great deals for Military, active  and retired.  Monday's its 30% off and we usually go twice a month.  They are busy on Monday's, they are busy anyday after 4:30.

@Islandqueen1.  Except for a few training stores, Applebees restaurants are franchises, so they're independently owned and operated.

I used to work for a company that owned  20+ Applebee's Restaurants. And I must say that out of the 20+ there were always stores that didn't do a booming business and stores that always had a crowd.

Plus you got to know a few of the franchisees. Some people owned 3 stores and some owned 100. Some people were better at runing a restaurant and some people were struggling.

The company that I worked for, is still doing very well. They are always at charity events handing our free appetizer coupons (I have one in my hand) and they also make trays of food and hand out samples.

And since I know many of the managers I stop by and say hello sometimes, plus we eat there. The restaurants always seem to have a nice sized crowd. But I must admit there doesn't seem to be large crowds sitting around the entrance waiting for a table. But I think the "To Go" part of the restaurant eased some of that congestion. They used to have lots of chairs around the outside of the restaurants for all the people waiting for tables.

Sometimes I think the same person writes these articles. I have been reading for over 2 years that Burger King is going bankrupt. So all the author has to do it take the headline and insert a different restaurant's name.

Honored Contributor

I always liked Applebee's had 2 favorite foods there.  Their Bourbon Street Steak and their spinach salad, always had a hard time deciding which to order.

A few years ago when they changed their menu to so called "healthy" choices, they did away with the spinach salad and changed the marinade on the steak.  I was so bummed and dont go there much anymore..

Im so tired of other people deciding what I have to chose from in a restaurant.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

If I want frozen food in a fun atmosphere I can go to Cheesecake Factory or my own freezer. Applebees should go with current restaurant trends and pare down their menus and switch to fresh ingredients.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I think they are headed that way.  I would use the gift cards now.

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass 

I googled Applebys. There are still three in my area. But have to admit I never hear any advertising for them anymore, nor has anyone mentioned eating there in (must be) years.

So I'd hurry and use those gift cards if they were mine.