Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Noticed that Black Friday is early?

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Sooner  It was an after thought.  Everything is rush this, rush that and  people don't have the time to think about Christmas in a special way like they use to.  At least that is how I feel.  

@Katcat1 Sorry you feel that way.  Any chance you can cut back a little?  Maybe don't do everything you THINK you need to do?  Scale back and enjoy?  I hope so!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

You're just noticing?  It's all I've seen and heard for weeks.  On TV, ads, emails from retailers.  As far as the meaning of Xmas, it remains as it has in the past and will remain that way. However, every individual chooses to recognize it's meaning their own way.  It's what you hold in your heart.

Esteemed Contributor

The shopping season this year is several days shorter than usual.  Plus with the nasty weather all over the country we may lose several more days and the tariff uncertainty doesn't help read l outlook.  The good news for us is that potentially there will be great end of year sales.

Honored Contributor

There are less shopping days for retailers if the sales wait until after black friday.  You bet they want to grab you and make you part with your money.  If they don't, they'll be on the list of stores closing in 2020.

I don't associate stuff with Christmas spirit.  I do get the rush of it, but I don't let myself get drawn in.  My niece is 17 and working her first job.  It happens to be retail at the mall.  She loves the extra hours and bigger paycheck.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  So sorry you are misunderstanding.  I feel fine and love the holidays but I don't like how the commercial part of it has changed.  Happy Thanksgiving.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Sooner  So sorry you are misunderstanding.  I feel fine and love the holidays but I don't like how the commercial part of it has changed.  Happy Thanksgiving.

@Katcat1 I don't feel like the commercial part affects me unless I let it.  

Respected Contributor

Thanksgiving the 3 main grocery stores will be open til 5pm & 5pm Khols & target will open guess til closing, Walmart will have regular hours on Thanksgiving. They want to cash in this holiday season like they do every year. They rush the holidays so fast. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Not only QVC but many others have joined in and are offering free shipping, sale prices.  The vendors can no longer wait for Black Friday.  Everyone is trying to beat everyone to the punch.  It's as bad as stores opening up on Thanksgiving night. What happened to the meaning of Christmas?  Cat Tongue

@Katcat1 

Thanksgiving is always on the 3rd Thursday of November.  For some unknown reason, it's on the 4th Thursday this year, and Black Friday is one week later.  Retailers have decided anything goes, since losing a whole week of Christmas shopping would be a financial disaster for many stores.  

For those of us who prefer to shop online, it doesn't matter that much.

BTW .... does anyone know WHY T-Day is the 4th Thursday this year ???

Frequent Contributor

Thanksgiving has been on the 4th Thursday since 1942 per President Roosevelt...the first day of November this year was a Friday so thats why its later than other years 

Trusted Contributor

I've seen advertised "the week before Black Friday" events. At this rate, we will be looking at holiday sales for "Black Oct./Nov."  

🤪🎁🌲