Honored Contributor

Has Anyone Noticed that Black Friday is early?

Not only QVC but many others have joined in and are offering free shipping, sale prices.  The vendors can no longer wait for Black Friday.  Everyone is trying to beat everyone to the punch.  It's as bad as stores opening up on Thanksgiving night. What happened to the meaning of Christmas?  Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Noticed that Black Friday is early?

Maybe they're offering an early Black Friday to compensate for a late Thanksgiving?

Honored Contributor

Black Friday, shopping and free shipping have nothing to do with the real meaning of Christmas.

Christmas has been celebrated for hundreds of years with very little or no gift giving, parties and spending.

Christmas today is a retailers holiday and people are sheep that spend, spend, spend.  It is getting worse as time goes by.  Soon we will forget why we are celebrating.

Super Contributor

Yes, absolutely it's early.  I went to a fairly large mall on Monday and most of the shop clerks annouced * Black Friday early*   pricing is the same as what is going to be on the Fridaty after Thanksgiving.  Macy's, Nordstroms and several other shops all had sales and advertised as Black Friday pricing.  I like it because I can get shopping done early, and I dont' like it because it's so commercialized now.  I think of the people who work at these stores and don't get time off.  It's ridiculous!

Respected Contributor

retailers have nothing to do with the meaning of Christmas for me.

no matter to me what they do or when they do it or what they call it.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Esteemed Contributor

Early Black Friday sales can only diminish the meaning of X-mas only if you let it.

Stores have to compete with online shopping.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Not only QVC but many others have joined in and are offering free shipping, sale prices.  The vendors can no longer wait for Black Friday.  Everyone is trying to beat everyone to the punch.  It's as bad as stores opening up on Thanksgiving night. What happened to the meaning of Christmas?  Cat Tongue

@Katcat1 What on earth does when the stores open have to do with the meaning of Christmas?

I see absolutely no connection.  I have ordered some things this week, and it has in no way altered my feeling about or celebration of the birth of Christ. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was out shopping today, but did not feel the usual excitement you would expect leading up to Black Friday. I have done quite a bit of "Black Friday" shopping already, because of the deals offered these past few months. My real Black Friday shopping will definitely be online, because of the horrible traffic

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Doesn’t change the meaning of Christmas. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I agree it’s because Thanksgiving is late and retailers are afraid that it might impact sales. Many places rely on holiday shopping to survive.
Honored Contributor

@Sooner  It was an after thought.  Everything is rush this, rush that and  people don't have the time to think about Christmas in a special way like they use to.  At least that is how I feel.  

kindness is strength