Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Noticed Children

@tiny 2 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy @eadu4 

I have an acquaintance that that one child in the family had Covid-19. The other 2 children and both parents also ended up with it. The children recovered one having no symptoms at all. The father spent a month in the hospital and is now also on the  “recovered” list and doing well.

The mother late 40’s with no underlying conditions, marathon runner, and weight lifter in incredible shape has been hospitalized for 3 months. She is now in rehab and as soon as she learns to walk again, talk again, regains the use of her arms and hands and learns to live with permanent brain damage she should be good to go.  All of them are now “recovered” statistics.

A dear friend, neighbor and nurse contracted Covid-19. We became friends when she moved here and discovered that we had nursing and our love of cats in common. 

Since my husband died in November she visits me on Sunday and usually Wednesday except for the time she was ill. She has continued her visits with me since her recovery but now I have to watch to make sure she gets back home. Some days she doesn't remember my name or her own. She no longer knows how to work or use her smart phone but always carries it. She does not know her birthday or her age.(51) She remembers that she was a nurse and thinks it was a very long time ago. I am so honored that she is so committed to helping to alleviate my sadness and that she remembers. When she leaves she says,” we are going to get through this” to which I reply “yes we are”.  She is a “recovered” statistic.

Statistics do not tell the full story or anywhere near the reality.

Individual stories are not the norm.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

People do get sick from Covid. Some get extremely ill. Some have long-term problems  Some die. Some children get sick, but not as often. Older people and those who have underlying health issues -- which make up a very large percent of our population -- often don't fare well at all.

Sowing doubt about the stats and how pernicious and tenacious the virus is will not change anything

The US population over 65 is 13%, not all have health issues.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dwayne The Rock Johnson just came out stating that his whole family, including himself and young children, have recovered from Covid. He called it a punch in the gut and one of the most challenging and difficult things they've had to endure as a family. They caught it from a family friend they thought was safe.

My step brother's whole immediate family got Covid and are on the other side of it. Two children.

If one person gets it, no matter the age, the whole household does. So of course children are catching Covid and that will increase as they mix together in schools. And they will bring it home to their families. You can't completely isolate a young child. They need help and care and hugs.

The whole Covid experience at school and home must be very traumatic to children.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

People do get sick from Covid. Some get extremely ill. Some have long-term problems  Some die. Some children get sick, but not as often. Older people and those who have underlying health issues -- which make up a very large percent of our population -- often don't fare well at all.

Sowing doubt about the stats and how pernicious and tenacious the virus is will not change anything

@CrazyDaisy, first of all, I don't care that the over-65 population is what I guess  you consider to be small.

Also, I know that they don't all have underlying health issues, which is way I placed an "and" between the two groups. However, the older you get, the more chance that you will indeed have some medical issues.

Add the older population and those with health issues and you are talking about a substantial percentage.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Dwayne The Rock Johnson just came out stating that his whole family, including himself and young children, have recovered from Covid. He called it a punch in the gut and one of the most challenging and difficult things they've had to endure as a family. They caught it from a family friend they thought was safe.

My step brother's whole immediate family got Covid and are on the other side of it. Two children.

If one person gets it, no matter the age, the whole household does. So of course children are catching Covid and that will increase as they mix together in schools. And they will bring it home to their families. You can't completely isolate a young child. They need help and care and hugs.

The whole Covid experience at school and home must be very traumatic to children.

Apparently you didn't get the memo that anecdotal references don't tell the whole story, @Porcelain. Smiley Wink

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy, first of all, I don't care that the over-65 population is what I guess  you consider to be small.

Also, I know that they don't all have underlying health issues, which is way I placed an "and" between the two groups. However, the older you get, the more chance that you will indeed have some medical issues.

Add the older population and those with health issues and you are talking about a substantial percentage.

They don't trust statistics either so I don't know why they would bring up percentages anyway.

The percentage mentioned is out of date anyway. America is aging and over 16% of us are over 65 now. 2/3rds of Americans are overweight or obese, 10% have diabetes,  and about 1/3 have hypertenstion. Good times.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Individual stories are not the norm.  

@CrazyDaisy   Maybe, maybe not.  The focus is more on the negative cases so it follows that the positive cases are often not considered.

GS was just "released" from his room quarantine at home and nobody else contracted COVID-19.  DDIL, GD, and DS (who we truly were especially worried about).

So it never follows that everyone will contract the virus.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I’m at the point now where I firmly believe all numbers we are given are incorrect. For multiple reasons.

Here in Florida there are fewer places doing COVID-19 testing. They were purposely shut down here as they have been in multiple states. People can’t get tested so guess, what?! The numbers are going down. Yeahright. Wanna buy a bridge??? 

Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3 : Dr. Gupta isn't sending his kids to school; that says a lot!

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@willdob3 : Dr. Gupta isn't sending his kids to school; that says a lot!

@patbz 

I agree. I really pay attention to what he says.