Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Noticed Children

@CrazyDaisy wrote:
While the number of new cases has shown a slight increase here the number of hospitalizations have dropped dramatically. The average age of new cases is now under 30. So not to concerned....

I think they expected this because of colleges and other schools opening, right?  I know we had 1,500 new cases yesterday but that was down from the day before and again, I believe they attributed that to the schools being re-open.  

I'd be more concerned as well if hospitalizations was way up but like you said, they have dropped a lot. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eadu4 wrote:

What is known is the fact that the median age of those who have died from Covid is 78.  The CDC reports that 8 out of 10 Covid-19 deaths reported in the U.S. are people over 65 years old.  Older people are far more likely to die of the disease.  Also directly from the CDC website: "90% of People Hospitalized for COVID-19 Have Underlying Conditions. . According to the NCHS  among the 183K deaths there were more than 161,300 death certificates that listed Covid-19 as among the various possible causes of death as of Aug. 22.  That means only 6% of the certificates that mention Covid-19 list it as the sole cause on the death certificate. The remaining 94% were deaths that involved/included multiple other causes besides Covid-19. Which is why there is a difference in dying "from" covid than dying "with" covid.   This is important since that means underlying conditions are an important factor.  

It is now known that the risk is not as dramatic in children.  While the virus clearly can infect children – remember, this was something that nobody seemed entirely sure of in the earliest days of the pandemic – it is a fact that there is strong evidence it is not as deadly for the youngest among us as it is for the rest of us.  While some children and infants have been sick with COVID-19, adults make up the majority of the known cases to date. Under-18s have accounted for just two percent of hospitalized COVID-19 cases and less than 0.1 percent of all deaths in the United States,

It's worth emphasizing that children are more prone to severe cases of the flu,  The flu each year infects 50+ million americans with hundreds of thousands of deaths.   Covid has a 99.7% recovery rate (CDC May 2020). 1,090 children died of H1N1 from 2009-2010, and as of today no child has died solely from Covid.   Less than 2% of the population of the United States have been diagnosed with COVID-19 (and we have tested more people than any other nation in the world) of that 2% diagnosed, 3% have actually died.

The risk falls as the age group gets younger.  Their risk of severe symptoms let alone any symptoms is way lower than someone 65 and older.  Deaths in young people (from babies to college students) are almost non-existent. The first age group to have a noticeable percentage in the death statistics is 45-54 years,  that group shows as 5% of the deaths.   More than 80% of deaths occur in people aged 65 and over.  When you add that 5% in the total then increases to over 92%.  These statistics are easily found.   I'm not saying that someone younger will not experience issues either minor or severe, and I am not trying to minimize any of the deaths that have occurred they are all tragically sad.  Always remember of all those percentages unless you knew their medical history personally you do not know what other factors contributed to their difficult time with this virus.  Some people "appear" perfectly healthy-but they may have a condition you were completely unaware of.   And clearly if you have multiple conditions, this virus is likely to give you a harder time.  

When misinformation like this are posted, I disregard the entire post. 

Hundres of thousands of people do not die per year from the flu.  

From the CDC website, it is very rare that children 5 and under die from the flu.  In the H1N1 pandemic of 2009, 358 children died.  Since 2005, the average number of children who die per flu season is 37-187.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KarenQVC wrote:

around you getting covid?  On MSNBC today Dr. Vin Gupta said now that school has opened in some high risk states that per capita more children are being hospitalized than adults.  Sad.

I guess we knew very little about effects of the virus on children until we had them go back to school.  Most other countries had the virus under control before they sent children out to school.

@KarenQVC 

How do they know that the children catching the virus are getting it from school, perhaps its the PARENTS that are bringing it home to the kids!!  In our county the majority of the virus cases are 18-40 (which is ADULTS)......  And anytime its a holiday, Labor Day, 4th of July, thats when the numbers go up due to social gatherings ....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Very skeptical of this report. I have no proof, but it seems that they're inflating numbers again. I don't know of any children who have COVID. I haven't been trusting the numbers lately, anyway. 

@teganslaw 

Yep, they finally admitted the numbers in Texas were all messed up...some of the same people were counted twice when they were re-tested to see if they recovered , or were false positives, cause of death also suspect (if someone died in a car accident, but they tested positive for Co-Vid, they counted the cause of death as Co-Vid).....  They finally turned it over to another agency to handle and the new case numbers in our county and hospitalizations are dropping dramatically....our recovery rate has always been good....The majority of cases are people in the age bracket 18-40

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

My 3 Nassau County, Long Island, NY grandchildren return to school tomorrow morning.  I'm very scared for them.

My DDIL, who is a NYC school teacher was supposed to return, but it got pushed back.

Both are hot spots.

@Lucky Charm - I sure do understand your concerns, my special needs grandson is starting preschool and FOUR in my immediate family are teachers, but I'm not sure we're still in a "hot spot".

According to what I heard this morning the NY numbers have been in the "good" range for 26 days, counting today.

Holding good thoughts for your LOs.

Honored Contributor

No, I haven't noticed children getting covid.   But, admittedly, I don't know many children.

Honored Contributor

I have several friends who have college age kids who are now back to school and I have friends who have grade school kids back in school.  To date, none of them have tested positive or been ill.  I know a few teachers and so far so good.

I don't know anyone close who has tested positive.  I know of a few people.  Just the other day an acquantance posted on FB that both her parents tested positive.  One died, the other recovered. Both were in a nursinghome.

I was at a small family gathering over the weekend and we were talking about this.  None of us know anyone personally who was diagnosed.  For all we know, any one of us could have had it and been asymptomatic.          

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy @eadu4 

I have an acquaintance that that one child in the family had Covid-19. The other 2 children and both parents also ended up with it. The children recovered one having no symptoms at all. The father spent a month in the hospital and is now also on the  “recovered” list and doing well.

The mother late 40’s with no underlying conditions, marathon runner, and weight lifter in incredible shape has been hospitalized for 3 months. She is now in rehab and as soon as she learns to walk again, talk again, regains the use of her arms and hands and learns to live with permanent brain damage she should be good to go.  All of them are now “recovered” statistics.

A dear friend, neighbor and nurse contracted Covid-19. We became friends when she moved here and discovered that we had nursing and our love of cats in common. 

Since my husband died in November she visits me on Sunday and usually Wednesday except for the time she was ill. She has continued her visits with me since her recovery but now I have to watch to make sure she gets back home. Some days she doesn't remember my name or her own. She no longer knows how to work or use her smart phone but always carries it. She does not know her birthday or her age.(51) She remembers that she was a nurse and thinks it was a very long time ago. I am so honored that she is so committed to helping to alleviate my sadness and that she remembers. When she leaves she says,” we are going to get through this” to which I reply “yes we are”.  She is a “recovered” statistic.

Statistics do not tell the full story or anywhere near the reality.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tiny 2 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy @eadu4 

I have an acquaintance that that one child in the family had Covid-19. The other 2 children and both parents also ended up with it. The children recovered one having no symptoms at all. The father spent a month in the hospital and is now also on the  “recovered” list and doing well.

The mother late 40’s with no underlying conditions, marathon runner, and weight lifter in incredible shape has been hospitalized for 3 months. She is now in rehab and as soon as she learns to walk again, talk again, regains the use of her arms and hands and learns to live with permanent brain damage she should be good to go.  All of them are now “recovered” statistics.

A dear friend, neighbor and nurse contracted Covid-19. We became friends when she moved here and discovered that we had nursing and our love of cats in common. 

Since my husband died in November she visits me on Sunday and usually Wednesday except for the time she was ill. She has continued her visits with me since her recovery but now I have to watch to make sure she gets back home. Some days she doesn't remember my name or her own. She no longer knows how to work or use her smart phone but always carries it. She does not know her birthday or her age.(51) She remembers that she was a nurse and thinks it was a very long time ago. I am so honored that she is so committed to helping to alleviate my sadness and that she remembers. When she leaves she says,” we are going to get through this” to which I reply “yes we are”.  She is a “recovered” statistic.

Statistics do not tell the full story or anywhere near the reality.

@tiny 2 

As sad as those situations are...the lack of complete knowledge regarding these people's full medical evaluations, treatment plans and detailed past medical history dont tell the true story either....How many times have we heard stories about people living and promoting healthy livestyles and "being in prime health" that have had strokes or passing away suddenly (theres even a testimonial commercial that one of them gives)....Who knows, it couldve been the treatment chosen to rid them of the virus that caused bad side effects (and dont a lot of medications these days seem to have bad side effects) ....so many unknown facts about the cause of their impairments.....

I offer my prayers and offer hope that they regain their full capabilities. 

Honored Contributor

People do get sick from Covid. Some get extremely ill. Some have long-term problems  Some die. Some children get sick, but not as often. Older people and those who have underlying health issues -- which make up a very large percent of our population -- often don't fare well at all.

Sowing doubt about the stats and how pernicious and tenacious the virus is will not change anything

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland