Respected Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Gotten Their Taxes Done Yet?

[ Edited ]

Our refund check is arriving in today's mail.  We filed ourselves electronically on 2/21.  We are retired; our returns are simple.  I think our refund is slightly more then last year.

Valued Contributor

Just got ours back from the accountant.  Surprised to find out we have a very large overpaymnet.  What a pleasant surprise.  While we both collect ss, most of our income is div, int, and cap gains along with a couple of rental properties and because of the mix it can vary large amounts from year to year.  Overall, we paid less percentage wise.  I would love to do my own return but even after years in finance the forms intimidate me.  Our federal return was 63 pages this year!  This is absurd.

Honored Contributor

We are getting about $1,000.00 less back then we did last year but most of that has to do with the sale of our business.

So glad we are over and done with that nonsense.  LOL 

Respected Contributor

Am so envious all getting a nice refund. Just got ours back from accountant. Have to pay in $5000---Yikes!!

Honored Contributor

I went on Sunday and received the return in the mail today (and his bill!).

I changed my federal withholding deduction to zero as soon as the tax law changed, so I would have gotten $1500 back this year (I did my taxes in Turbotax just to see how it would look).

I had other stuff this year, so I went to an accountant this time.

Next year I'm back to Turbotax.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes I do them by hand. Got less back, dont care (DH claims in a way that he gets more in his check and we have things we owe tax on at years end plus house is soon paid off so we can only go the short way anymore,  so we are used to getting hardly anything back.). HOWEVER we are upset that DH lost 10 Grand on his 401K by end of December due to the stock markets crashing and going down up down. (DH did not check it this year yet, he was too upset from end of year. So do not khow how its doing now in the new year).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Valued Contributor

Didn't have to file. Good in some ways, not so in others.

Honored Contributor

I finally got my taxes back from CPA and I have to pay $1,000 more than I did last year.  I am retired and had no changes to my income. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes.  Done and already have the refund back!

Valued Contributor

I've got to get busy...maybe tomorrow!