Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Gotten Their Taxes Done Yet?

Appointment with my tax guy tomorrow afternoon....just to drop it off and ask a couple of questions. 

Honored Contributor

Done.  Waiting on refund.  Pretty close to last years, but I have additional taken out each paycheck.  Paid once and I don't want to have to do that again.  Easier to do without each check than to be hit with the "big one" after holidays and insurances.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm done and I E filed, only to discover a glitch in the Turbo app. I've already received my refund, but now I have to file an amended return and pay for the glitch they caused.

Esteemed Contributor

Waiting for documentation, then to run it by the CPA's office.

Fingers crossed.  The state I live in blew it for getting up to speed with federal tax code changes.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Electronically submitted last week.  Checked on line and refund check to be processed next week. Our refund is about the same as last year.  Not huge amount, just enough to keep us from paying.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

My appointment is March 29th . . . and I'm dreading it. This will be a killer with mom's Trust finalized in 2018 . . . and I turned 70 last year. Had to begin taking the Required Minimum Distributions on my IRA's (which hadn't been completely rolled into ROTH's), my Retirement Accounts (which I've never touched), and a 401-K.

Holy Cow! It appears my income was massive . . . and I'm simply re-investing it. So, I'll be paying taxes on all that inheritance and the money I've set aside for my "old age". (Why do we have to take it at 70 1/2? Dang, government "rules".) Still not ready this nonsense. Don't feel anywhere near "old age" either. 

End of March, you'll hear me CRY like a baby! I honesty have no idea how much it will cost . . . was afraid to ask. 

@BirkiLady   I thought you have a family trust  made up so you DO NOT  pay inheritance taxes?

Esteemed Contributor

The answer is no.  My DH does our taxes, as he says the biggest job is to figure out amounts, not to fill out forms.  It does take quite a while.  We do pay a good deal in taxes every year.  We love where we live in CT, still in our original family home.  High real estate taxes, sales tax, taxes on several pensions, plus ways our money is kept. Spends many hours doing this!  It wouldn’t be me.  Would be “accountant here I come.”  But after 52 years of marriage, not going to change him now.

Honored Contributor

Ours is too complicated to do at home.  So we see a retired Block accountant.  Problems is that she had a stroke a few weeks ago.  So we have to find someone else to do it.  We're stariting to look now.

Honored Contributor

I am behind this year.  I need to get everything pulled together this weekend, so I can have taxes done next week.

Respected Contributor

Our taxes are done.For the first time in 30 years we get a small refund rather than having to pay.Whoo hoo.