Respected Contributor

Has Anyone Gotten Their Taxes Done Yet?

We did.  OUCH!  Getting back less than 20% of what we received last year.  I guess we should be happy we don't have to pay....but OUCH!

Respected Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Gotten Their Taxes Done Yet?

@ScrapHappy wrote:

We did.  OUCH!  Getting back less than 20% of what we received last year.  I guess we should be happy we don't have to pay....but OUCH!

Be glad you are at least getting something back. I cannot remember the last time we received a refund.

Esteemed Contributor

Why in the world would you overpay by that much all year?

The goal is neither owes the other anything at the end of the year.

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

The size of your refund doesn't mean much. You may have had less withheld last year, thus making your refund smaller. Better to look at the total tax you paid the past two years if you want to make a comparison, not the size of your refund.

Honored Contributor

I have one more record of donations to get .... I keep forgetting to call the office ... try to remember tomorrow.

As soon a I have that ... I'll do taxes.  Maybe next week 

I almost always get a few dollars back ...  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I have one more record of donations to get .... I keep forgetting to call the office ... try to remember tomorrow.

As soon a I have that ... I'll do taxes.  Maybe next week 

I almost always get a few dollars back ...  

There are new tax laws in effect. Check before donating. Some donations might not be deductible.

Honored Contributor

Yes had our taxes done two weeks ago and we get a refund this year. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I must pay exactly the extra amount I received in my monthly checks in 2018.  I actually am paying more this year than I ever did.

Esteemed Contributor

My appointment is March 29th . . . and I'm dreading it. This will be a killer with mom's Trust finalized in 2018 . . . and I turned 70 last year. Had to begin taking the Required Minimum Distributions on my IRA's (which hadn't been completely rolled into ROTH's), my Retirement Accounts (which I've never touched), and a 401-K.

Holy Cow! It appears my income was massive . . . and I'm simply re-investing it. So, I'll be paying taxes on all that inheritance and the money I've set aside for my "old age". (Why do we have to take it at 70 1/2? Dang, government "rules".) Still not ready this nonsense. Don't feel anywhere near "old age" either. 

End of March, you'll hear me CRY like a baby! I honesty have no idea how much it will cost . . . was afraid to ask. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I've prepared them, but just haven't sent them off.  One of the reasons refunds are not as much, no personal deductions this year!  I would much rather get a refund than have to pay, been there done that!!!