Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Ever Been to the Bahamas?

I've been 5 or 6 times to Nassau (Cable Beach).  It's been years and I'm sure none of the hotels are the same. 

Stayed at the Crystal Palace, Sandals, Radisson, Windham Ambassador and one other.  Never made the (short) trek to Paradise Island.

I liked it specifically because it was such a short flight.  Only other islands I've been to there are Jamaica (hated it) and Punta Cana.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cruised to Nassau ... but due to sea-sickness, will not "go by boat" again, but cruised by Paradise Island, and it was gorgeous.  My MIL loved Paradise Island the best of all ... flew straight from BWI to this first-class resort~!

Let us know what you decide!

Esteemed Contributor

@Trix wrote:

I've been to Grand Bahamas, Nassau, and The Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island.  Grand and Nassau were stops on cruises.  I enjoyed the time, but would suggest working with a travel agent to plan your visit.  A good agent will make suggestions based on your taste and budget as to when to go, where to stay, and what to do once you get there.  

Truth be told the Bahamas are not my favorite of the islands.  They are very crowded with tourists, and if you go please be careful as tourists are marks for street theives and crooked merchants.  I would recommend the Cayman Islands.  

I second this.....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do hear what you are saying about safety. Safety is always my #1 priority when I travel.

I looked on a couple of websites, and they said that tourists are targeted for purse snatchings, muggings, etc.

It was just an idea that I was kicking around.

It has been three or four years since I last took a real vacation, as in, I actually went someplace that *I* wanted to go to.

In that time, I have been taking care of my elderly father, busy running him from doctor appointment to doctor appointment, all to get his heart valve replaced, which it finally was last year.

So, maybe I'll stick a little closer to home.

Maybe I'll go to Phoenix, instead.

They have lots of nice resorts there.

Honored Contributor

The was a time when Club Med had an amazing resort on Paradise Island, it has long since closed. We have been to Nassau on cruises and stayed in Cable Beach three times.When I was younger it was a short flight from NY.

It is like any other place, be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine.  

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Parts of the Bahamas are really crappy. Go to Harbour Island. 

Respected Contributor

The island that Disney uses as its "beach" day is in the Bahamas.  As I live in the tropics anyway, it wasn't a favorite stop.  Sweltering, very little shade.

My favorite of the Caribbean islands I've been to (just two or three) is St Johns in the Virgin Islands.  I used to visit a friend who worked on nearby (ferry ride) St. Thomas, which is also beautiful.  It's hilly and picturesque, with crystal clear beaches.  (The Disney beach resort is flat as a pancake.)

St. Johns is quiet, green, and tranquil, my idea of a getaway island. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't care for the Bahamas....Turk Caicos and Anguilla more to my test.  I like quiet, safety, nice people and good beaches &  food.  I am not a gambler nor do I care for night life. 

Respected Contributor

i had a short stay in Paradise Island many many years ago, well before Atlantis.

my ex won a sales contest and the prize was 4 nights at Paradise Island. second prize 8 nights at Paradise Island (lol joke)

the beaches were pleasant but not great, and there were vendors roaming the sands trying to sell every trinket imaginable, wanting to braid my hair. we went to Freeport as a side tour. ugh . you know the gold chain by the inch you buy. yep, bought  two bracelets, by the time we stepped off the return flight, the links broke and the bracelets fell apart.

Abaco seems nicer and less touristy  .

check out VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owner) - you may be able to get a better deal and to get an idea of places to stay on the Islands - there are user reviews of the rentals.

Respected Contributor

I agree, not a fan of the Bahamas in general, but if you look up Harbour Island you will see its one if the most beautiful beaches in the world. None of the Freeport or Nassau ******.