Esteemed Contributor

Has Anyone Ever Been to the Bahamas?

I was toying with the idea of maybe going there for my vacation next year.

Maybe.

Have you ever been?

Which island did you go to?

Any good hotels there?

IF I do go, what should I keep in mind, look out for, etc.

As I said, this is just an idea. I don't know if I'll actually go or not, but who knows? Maybe I will!

Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Ever Been to the Bahamas?

I haven't.  My DD has a few times so I guess that means she likes it.  If you need a traveling partner just let me know. I'll clear my schedule! Smiley Happy

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

I haven't been either, but I can work on carrying the luggage, bad back and all.Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

Yes, love the Bahamas...........have visited Nassau, Freeport and Bimini.  I love the Cable Beach area and the Atlantis ~ Have fun : )

Super Contributor

Yes, I have a timeshare in Freeport.   There are very many islands to choose from.   Nassau is very fast paced and commercial.   Freeport is more laid back and ecological.  Lots of outdoor activities touring nature park, caves horseback riding, atv to explore, fishing diving, snorkeling, boating or just enjoying the beach or native restaurants.  It is a second home to me seeing friends returning every year.   While timeshares are not hotel living, their main focus is tourist trade and I have always found them very hospitable and polite.  There are varied hotels ranging in all price ranges.

Respected Contributor

Just a suggestion but why not take a cruise stopping in the Bahamas to see if you like it. If you do then plan a vacation there where you have more time to do more.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been to Grand Bahamas, Nassau, and The Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island.  Grand and Nassau were stops on cruises.  I enjoyed the time, but would suggest working with a travel agent to plan your visit.  A good agent will make suggestions based on your taste and budget as to when to go, where to stay, and what to do once you get there.  

Truth be told the Bahamas are not my favorite of the islands.  They are very crowded with tourists, and if you go please be careful as tourists are marks for street theives and crooked merchants.  I would recommend the Cayman Islands.  

Honored Contributor

I've been pretty much to all islands there, but soooo long ago any hotel type information I have would not be useful.  Avoid the Fall, for obvious weather reasons. I took a sea plane from Nassau to Bimini and it was very exciting in a frightening sort of way!

The water and beaches were beautiful.  Hope that has not changed and that you have a wonderful time.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

We've been to Freeport, Nassau, and Paradise Island.  I think there are far nicer islands.

Honored Contributor

I've never been to an island. What ones do you like?

@muttmom wrote:

We've been to Freeport, Nassau, and Paradise Island.  I think there are far nicer islands.