Trusted Contributor

Has Anyone Been on a Singles Cruise?

I am SO considering this. I need to get away and I don't want to be around a lot of couples. I've never been on a cruise.  Has anyone been on a singles cruise and what can I expect?  The cruise I'm thinking about is 9 nights in the southern Caribbean. 

Can anyone recommend a website?  I saw this on match.com. 

I dont care care if I meet someone, I just need to get away. The cruise is on the "Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas".   I don't know anything about cruise lines. Can someone provide some insight?

Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Been on a Singles Cruise?

I cruised often when I was single but never on an organized event. Will the whole ship be singles or will it just be part of the cruise, this does make a difference

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

After my divorce at 39, my friends took me on a local bay cruise (not telling me it was a singles cruise (just a few hours).  It was very uncomfortable for me - wasn't ready to date and everyone was hooking up around me.  If you are looking for peace and quiet, you might want to try something else.  People who go on single cruises are definitely in the market to hook up. 

Honored Contributor

for me, i would avoid a singles cruise like the plague......it is totally NOT my scene. others obviously feel differently. for some reason the term "meat market" sticks in my mind.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it would be fun, if you like cruising.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I may be perfectly blunt, people go on a singles cruise for one reason, to get laid.

If you go, expect the males to be pestering you to try and get you into bed.

You won't be left alone, and some won't back off when you try to politely rebuff them.

If you want to get away, I would go to an upscale hotel and spa.

Respected Contributor

I have never heard of a single cruise where entire ship is all singles. Many people go travel "solo" on regular cruise ships with mixed group of people. I use to think about going solo until there were so many problems with cruise ships publicized on the news. If you go to the cruise critic site and search their forums for cruising solo you might get more information from people who actually do it and enjoy it.
Frequent Contributor

Hi, I went on a "singles cruise" years ago in the Med - I was single then but not particularly looking for a "date" - I just had no-one else to go with and I wanted a vacation. 
I was supposed to be matched with another single lady in a double stateroom/cabin, but she never showed up so I got the whole room to myself but only paid half - that was great !!
However, the not so good part was that, although I thought the whole ship was to be full of single people (and therefor no children), there were very few singles and they filled the rest of the ship with just regular guests (couples, kids, etc.).  They did seat all the singles at one or two large tables for meals so we could get together and chat, etc.

So, all in all, it was a good trip for me - I was alone as much as I wanted yet found others to go on shore trips with if I wanted to - it wasn't a "meat market" as some have stated as it was probably no different from a regular cruise - you will always find the guy who is trying to get you into bed wherever you go !!!
I would say - go for it if you can afford it, but don't be disappointed to find young people, seniors, etc.
If you go, have a great trip !!!!!

Respected Contributor

9 nights is a lot of time to spend for your first singles cruise.

Honored Contributor

@lovemyparrot wrote:

Hi, I went on a "singles cruise" years ago in the Med - I was single then but not particularly looking for a "date" - I just had no-one else to go with and I wanted a vacation. 
I was supposed to be matched with another single lady in a double stateroom/cabin, but she never showed up so I got the whole room to myself but only paid half - that was great !!
However, the not so good part was that, although I thought the whole ship was to be full of single people (and therefor no children), there were very few singles and they filled the rest of the ship with just regular guests (couples, kids, etc.).  They did seat all the singles at one or two large tables for meals so we could get together and chat, etc.

So, all in all, it was a good trip for me - I was alone as much as I wanted yet found others to go on shore trips with if I wanted to - it wasn't a "meat market" as some have stated as it was probably no different from a regular cruise - you will always find the guy who is trying to get you into bed wherever you go !!!
I would say - go for it if you can afford it, but don't be disappointed to find young people, seniors, etc.
If you go, have a great trip !!!!!

I would not want to share a room with a stranger.