Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

and now Lisa Bloom has resigned.

Well since he's been suspended now, I guess he won't be turning her book into a miniseries, so she has no further use for him.

Instead, she can turn this into an opportunity to signal her virtue and hope to get support for her project elsewhere.

@Isobel Archer

An opportunity to signal her virtue?   Not all defense lawyers like their clients, but that doesn't bring their "virtue" into question.   Everyone is entitled to legal counsel.   

Regular Contributor

Hollywood is trash .... 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@software wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@software wrote:

I started working full time in the 1970s and yes it was pretty free-wheeling back then.   But it was up to the woman to say NO.

Obviously someone was saying YES or he wouldn't be doing it.

And fortunately, I was never so in debt or entrenched in a job that I couldn't leave if I was being systematically disrespected in some form or fashion - sexually or otherwise.

@software, from what I understand, the accusations are from those who did NOT want the "attention" given to them by this man.

It's very easy to sit here and wonder why a woman might find herself in a very difficult situation. I bet many of us here know exactly what I'm saying.

When I was younger and working briefly part-time in a male-dominated place, I recall a customer telling my employer something about my body. My employer replied, "Yeah, that's why we keep her." Did I pipe up and object and demand more respect? No. Not until much later.

IT IS NOT UP TO THE WOMAN TO SAY NO. IT'S UP TO THE MAN TO PROVIDE, AT THE VERY LEAST, A COMFORTABLE AND RESPECTFUL WORKING ENVIRONMENT FOR ALL EMPLOYEES - AND TODAY, ALSO TO COMPLY WITH THE MUCH-NEEDED LAWS IN PLACE.

In a perfect world, yes.

But a man's brain always goes to the visual, they are wired that way.

They have to be TAUGHT that  women are not objects, therefore it's up to women to say NO.

@software   

Uh ....  In a perfect world, parents would raise young men to respect women .... to be gentlemen .....  to never force themselves onto women .....  to do the right thing.   Do this even for no other reason than ... it's illegal.

Don't parents share some blame in some of these occurances?

Unfortunately, when it comes to powerful men in any industry or field, they are accustomed to getting what they want.    Yes, sometimes women throw themselves at men.  It happens, and sometimes it happens frequently.

However, two things that ALL women can do ...

1 --  Support women that find themselves in predatory situations.  (How many women here stated during the Cosby postings that "she must have asked for it"?)

2 -- Use every opportunity to reinforce integrity and gentlemanly behavior in young men .... better yet, men of any age. 

It's one thing for a woman to have to extricate herself from a situation where they guy doesn't want to take no for an answer .... and another thing entirely to have her livelihood threatened if she doesn't say yes to the creep.

Okay, I'll get off my soap box now.

Men who treat women with respect were raised right, I certainly agree.   it all begins in the home but how long can we blame the parents once these men are grown?   

"to have your livelihood threatened"  is not an excuse for the woman either.   He wasn't the only producer in Hollywood.   Every industry is similar, Hollywood gets the press.   It's hard to just pack up and leave a bad situation behind but it's what women have to do.   I've done it.   Like i stated in an earlier post, I've never been so dependent on a job or a man that I couldn't pack up and leave if I had to when things got bad.   Woman have choices.   Women have to know bad behavior is not acceptable.

I think we are both on the same page.   Support each other and let men know bad behavior will not be tolerated.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

i was taught from a young age to get away from anyone who did something "inappropriate."  when i was grown up, a little Southern flower up in Yankeeland, working in publishing and on Wall Street where i encountered plenty of aggressive men, i applied the same principle.  i found that if you took a stand right off, a man would back off. this was before we even had the term "sexual harassment."  of course i recognize there are those who may not take "no" as an answer - but i never ran into one.

You are so right.   The men would test you, to see if you would "play".   If you wouldn't play along, they would leave you alone.   You might miss out on a "promotion" but who wants one flat on your back.

Trusted Contributor

@software wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

i was taught from a young age to get away from anyone who did something "inappropriate."  when i was grown up, a little Southern flower up in Yankeeland, working in publishing and on Wall Street where i encountered plenty of aggressive men, i applied the same principle.  i found that if you took a stand right off, a man would back off. this was before we even had the term "sexual harassment."  of course i recognize there are those who may not take "no" as an answer - but i never ran into one.

You are so right.   The men would test you, to see if you would "play".   If you wouldn't play along, they would leave you alone.   You might miss out on a "promotion" but who wants one flat on your back.

I'm so sorry you believe this, and I hope it never really happened to you.  No woman I knew would ever marry or socialize with a man who "tested" women to see who would play.  Not marriage or friend material.  Those women who ended up socializing with the "ask everybody" type were pitied.

I'm glad all these predators are being held to account.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

A  little southern flower in yankeeland?   Good grief.

sounds very 'Blanche DuBois", Tennessee Williams.

QVC Customer Care

This thread is closed for commenting...