Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

The on campus experience of college is as important as the education itself, in my opinion. I feel that education was moving too much (on all levels) to online learning even before Covid, and will only increase now and maybe forever. 

Being in schools, dorms, classes, labs and participating in campus activities and clubs and social things, as well as the relationships with other students and staff are just not going to be duplicated online, and will alter what a college education can give and do for students. 

Not all change is good. I sincerely hope things in education can get back to those important things very soon, but I think these changes will stay more in force, even if/when covid isn't an issue anymore.

There is so much more to an education than learning the material in a book.  Interactions with others who may be different from them, have a different point of view, have different experiences.  Networking with fellow students and professors is important for future careers.  Internships tp get valuable work experience in their field of study.  So much will be lost with no students on campus.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

I have taken both in person and on line classes, from my experience in person classes far exceed online.  

Same.

Trusted Contributor

I really can't imagine how they could have thousands of students on campus and not have an outbreak.  If a student becomes seriously ill, they may be far from home.  Also, students are all over the place -- the subways, buses, etc. spreading it all over the city.  

I agree that online classes forever would be a detriment.  However, having the resilience to make the best of online classes for one or two semesters is an asset.  Developing that resilience, if they don't already have it, is an achievement in itself.  Someone mentioned taking the year off, which would be another good option.  

Honored Contributor

If the worst happens, and a student (or more) has the virus, they wouldn't be able to fly home..........where would they quarantine?

Unless there is a special building for quarantined students.

Just thinking out loud, of course.  

Probably the safest choice, right now,  would be to attend the online classes.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

If the worst happens, and a student (or more) has the virus, they wouldn't be able to fly home..........where would they quarantine?

Unless there is a special building for quarantined students.

Just thinking out loud, of course.  

Probably the safest choice, right now,  would be to attend the online classes.

Many colleges that have decided to have students back on campus in the fall are doing just that -- setting aside one dorm (or part of a dorm) for students who live on campus and test positive for the virus. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

The on campus experience of college is as important as the education itself, in my opinion. I feel that education was moving too much (on all levels) to online learning even before Covid, and will only increase now and maybe forever. 

Being in schools, dorms, classes, labs and participating in campus activities and clubs and social things, as well as the relationships with other students and staff are just not going to be duplicated online, and will alter what a college education can give and do for students. 

Not all change is good. I sincerely hope things in education can get back to those important things very soon, but I think these changes will stay more in force, even if/when covid isn't an issue anymore.

We've always had university learning online.   Since the personal computer came in.  Most schools require a portion of their learning to be on campus.  Other then that, they can take online to graduate and get their degree.  I took 2 classes online.  The rest on campus.  In addition, some classes must be on campus.  Natural Science majors must take Chemistry lab work for one and some physics/astronomy classes. We have a big telescope on campus.  According to one survey, at least 33% of student take one online classes. There's nothing wrong with it.  I liked taking it. I wish they had that for public secondary schools.  Most families have at least one computer. 

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

If students aren't going to learn on campus then they are entitled to a break in their tuition.

It was announced today that if there are no in person classes students here on visa will have to leave.  Full course online classes is not enough.  Thousands of students may be affected.

@Marp, I'm increasingly concerned about this ruling.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Very smart response to what is needed.

Over 55,000 New cases of covd today in the US.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

If students aren't going to learn on campus then they are entitled to a break in their tuition.

It was announced today that if there are no in person classes students here on visa will have to leave.  Full course online classes is not enough.  Thousands of students may be affected.

@Marp, I'm increasingly concerned about this ruling.

This is very concerning for international students, many who cannot travel back home due to restrictions.