Honored Contributor

'All in all', their health is more important.

In the vast scheme of things.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor
I have three grands who will be college freshmen this year. They will have in-person classes in the mornings, online classes in the afternoons. A wing and a prayer.....
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

No on campus teaching. Online except a very few exceptions. Yikes that's a costly online degree.

I thought all colleges were planning on doing this.  I do agree they should get a break on the cost.  Well a lot of the hazing and crazy parties will not be happening.  Thats probably worth doing online classes.

Honored Contributor
At my former nursing school, the majority of clinical time last semester was with virtual patients online. Might be the same in the fall. Imagine graduating and not having real live patients. 🤨
Esteemed Contributor

I work at a college campus. Hybrid classes (combo online & meet once a week for labs, etc.) will be offered along with online and F2F, face-to-face classes. F2F classes will limit class size to 14 instead of 28. These classes will be planned to convert to online if there is a covid19 breakout on campus. Also being discussed is college sports and many students have sports scholarships. There's rumor students may not return after Thanksgiving break - all online classes through end of semester to deter returning to campus with possible exposures after family / vacation break. 

These decisions aren't taken lightly by administration. I think my Dean has turned all gray since March.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
We need to have students going back to colleges and universities! We need medical students graduating so they can become doctors and new teachers graduating to teach our kids....and we need our children to be able to go back to their friends, teachers, schools, and classrooms. The only functional, stable place for many children.

@lovesrecess For those of us with teenagers and college students, it's not that big of a deal if they need to be online.  Those people with younger kids, especially in underserved communities where both parents work and can't afford childcare, will have a big challenge if school is online.  They probably also can't afford the computer or tablet necessary for their children to do their work.  I hope our officials at all levels are looking at this.  

Honored Contributor

The on campus experience of college is as important as the education itself, in my opinion. I feel that education was moving too much (on all levels) to online learning even before Covid, and will only increase now and maybe forever. 

Being in schools, dorms, classes, labs and participating in campus activities and clubs and social things, as well as the relationships with other students and staff are just not going to be duplicated online, and will alter what a college education can give and do for students. 

Not all change is good. I sincerely hope things in education can get back to those important things very soon, but I think these changes will stay more in force, even if/when covid isn't an issue anymore.

Respected Contributor

My son, who would have been a freshman in college this fall, is deferring for a year. We hope things will improve by fall of 2021, and if not, I guess we’ll re-evaluate. It is complicated for us by the fact that we are in CA and he will be attending college on the East Coast. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

at the law school my daughter attends, they will be doing a mix of online classes and in person classes. it was officially announced today. the undergrads at the same school will be doing the same. she would rather do all in person classes and she hated this past semester because they were only graded pass/fail. she will be attending......this is her last year of law school and she is ready to be out in the world again working. she will have a job offer for NEXT fall when she finishes her summer internship. of course she will have to pass the BAR also after graduating.

Taking the bar exam is another problem.  You’re crammed in like sardines, so that will probably change.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Harvard’s Descion

[ Edited ]

University learning online is been around since the 1990's, perhaps earlier.  The only requirement when you go to college online is that you have to be on campus at least a portion of the time.  This rule might change with the virus. 

My school is doing pretty much the same thing.  Freshman will be at campus till Thanksgiving break.  Back online afterwards.  I'll still be home working part of the time.  On campus twice a week for the ILL books.  I'm taking turns with my other co workers.  Have no idea about tuition. I never do.  To this day, I have no idea how much it costs to go to school here.  I don't work in the budget department.

Have no idea what they will do about elementary/secondary schools.  They are losing a lot!  they should rave some remedial school work anyway.