Honored Contributor

Re: Harry and Meghan have officially left London

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY wrote:

Dare I say, without going into detail, that I've always thought that two brothers and their respective wives living together in the same home isn't the greatest idea.

Wishing Harry and Meghan and baby well.

Nice to have their own place.

Well, it isn't as though they were all sharing the split-level down the street... Smiley Wink

Kensington Palace is, well, a palace... It's divided into a number of apartments housing a number of royals. Most of the apartments are spacious. As I recall, William's family occupies a 20 room, multi-level apartment and another large apartment was to have been retrofitted for Harry. In the meanwhile, I believe he and his wife were occupying the cottage on the grounds previously occupied by William and Kate. I don't know if Harry ever moved into the expensively retrofitted apartment, given the option of moving to Frogmore... All that said, I agree, it's time for Harry and his wife to move outward, so that they and the public come to better accept their less central roles as royals.  Just as Anne, Andrew and Edward, over time, became a bit less of a focus, Harry will need to as well... The boys were seen as somewhat of a 'team' for so long, it's sometimes hard to remember that one is the heir and the other was 'the spare'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

The ROYALS ,do not have to be practical about money, they live a life most of us can only dream of.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I believe they are moving to Frogmore Cottage in Windsor. I love the quiet little town of Windsor, and it's very close by train to London; yet, it is country. I think there should be pictures of it on sites of the internet. 

Respected Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

The final renovation cost was between 3.8 and  5 million.

They spent all that money to repair and make the place livable which is fine, and just as it was announced they were moving in, I read an article that said they spent $43,000 on a getaway so Meghan could be pampered by Harry.  I rest my case. 

You piqued my interest.😊   I did a quick search using that monetary amount for the couple, and it appears that Kate and William also took the opportunity for similar expensive "babymoon" getaway trips.   I just don't understand the problem...   were they also criticized soundly, or their expenses itemized in detail,  for each one?

My point was that after spending millions to almost rebuild Frogmore, and when ready to move in, it doesn't make sense to spend $43,00 for a hotel  in which to be pampered.  But that's because I have always been practical.

How do you know they paid for it? They were in the middle of moving. Maybe they were between homes and they were offered a stay at this inn which is 25 miles from their new home.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whether or not they paid for it is immaterial to me. They are wealthy. This is what rich people do. You don't have to be royal to take an expensive vacation.  Charles and Diana vacationed on a private island before William was born. 

Trusted Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

The final renovation cost was between 3.8 and  5 million.

They spent all that money to repair and make the place livable which is fine, and just as it was announced they were moving in, I read an article that said they spent $43,000 on a getaway so Meghan could be pampered by Harry.  I rest my case. 

You piqued my interest.😊   I did a quick search using that monetary amount for the couple, and it appears that Kate and William also took the opportunity for similar expensive "babymoon" getaway trips.   I just don't understand the problem...   were they also criticized soundly, or their expenses itemized in detail,  for each one?

My point was that after spending millions to almost rebuild Frogmore, and when ready to move in, it doesn't make sense to spend $43,00 for a hotel  in which to be pampered.  But that's because I have always been practical.

How do you know they paid for it? They were in the middle of moving. Maybe they were between homes and they were offered a stay at this inn which is 25 miles from their new home.

Likewise, how do you know that they didn't pay for the hotel?

You don't.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

n/m

Trusted Contributor

It took me more time to get my master bath remodeled than for them to transform a dilapidated building into a luxurious 10 bedroom estate.  Amazing

Esteemed Contributor

It’s odd but there seems to be an aspect of human nature that elevates individuals or families to royal staus, whether there is a monarchy or not. In this country, despite the American Revolution, the Kennedys, for example, were almost like a royal family, despite lapses in exemplary behavior. And let’s face it...many Americans follow the British royal family as if it were our own. I don’t see the harm in it. The fashions, the intrigue, the royal events. They’re all fun and fantasy for us to look upon.