Esteemed Contributor

Harry and Meghan Sussex sue Daily Mail UK

[ Edited ]

I guess Meghan sent a letter to her dad. Her dad gave it to the Daily Mail. They then printed it.I don’t know why after what some think ( others have criticized their behavior and motives) was a successful African tour they would start this? Others question who owns the letter? The sender or recipient? I wonder how this will play out.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Re: Harry and Meghan Sussex sue Daily Mail UK

he has hurt her.

she has hurt him.

i dont know who really started it. i am just looking at this from a father/daughter perspective and not from a "royal perspective."

it is a shame that it has come down to this instead of them meeting in person and trying to work through their relationship.

the letter was from about 14 months ago.

once she sent that letter, the letter was his.....so i would say that HE owns the letter.

i think the lawsuit is ridiculous.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

It's about time.  The Royal Family traditionally does not "fight back".  Well, it's time they did and stopped the relentless media spin that goes on.

Despite the successful African tour, there will continue to be negative stories and untruths published, mostly directed at Meghan.  There needs to be a stop to it once and for all.

Harry is not going to sit idly by and watch the media destroy Meghan's life the way they did his mother's.

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder why she doesn't call her dad or go visit him instead of writing letters like that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The lawsuit has been "many months in the making."   Seems to me that no matter when they chose to take action or discuss it they would've been as criticized as they are with everything else they do.   I think I can understand doing it, but I don't have faith in the tabloids (or social media) to change.

Excerpt:

"...In a lengthy, emotional statement, Prince Harry said on Tuesday that the couple had taken legal action in response to what he called “bullying” by some sections of the British press.

“Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one,” he said.

“My deepest fear is history repeating itself.

I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditized to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I

lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.”

His mother, Princess Diana, became one of the most photographed women on the planet after she married into the British royal family.

She died in a car crash in Paris in 1997 after being followed through the streets by photographers. Her funeral was watched by hundreds of millions of people around the world.

Schillings, the law firm representing Markle, described the publication of her letter as part of a “campaign by this media group to publish false and deliberately derogatory stories about her, as well as her husband.

“...We have issued proceedings to redress this breach of privacy, infringement of copyright and the aforementioned media agenda.”   It did not give details about the letter in question or publication date.

In his statement, Prince Harry said the newspaper had “purposely misled (readers) by strategically omitting select paragraphs, specific sentences, and even singular words.”

The Mail on Sunday denied the account.

“The Mail on Sunday stands by the story it published and will be defending this case vigorously,” said a spokesman. “Specifically, we categorically deny that the Duchess’s letter was edited in any way that changed its meaning.”

Schillings said the case was being paid for privately by Prince Harry and Markle, who are also known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex....

...The 35-year-old prince, who is Queen Elizabeth’s grandson and sixth in line to the throne, said the legal action had been “many months in the making”...

...“I have been a silent witness to her private suffering for too long. To stand back and do nothing would be contrary to everything we believe in,” he added."

source:

reuters.com/article/us-britain-royals-safrica/britains-prince-harry-and-wife-meghan-to-visit-south-african-township-idUSKBN1WH0II

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

I wonder why she doesn't call her dad or go visit him instead of writing letters like that.

Probably because he's a jerk. If my father ever treated me like he's done her, I wouldn't call or visit him, either.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

It's about time.  The Royal Family traditionally does not "fight back".  Well, it's time they did and stopped the relentless media spin that goes on.

Despite the successful African tour, there will continue to be negative stories and untruths published, mostly directed at Meghan.  There needs to be a stop to it once and for all.

Harry is not going to sit idly by and watch the media destroy Meghan's life the way they did his mother's.

I agree completely, @Venezia.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

Probably because he's a jerk. If my father ever treated me like he's done her, I wouldn't call or visit him, either.

@Sushismom.  I agree. He has problems. Don’t know what they are but he is ‘not all there’. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

We'll never know and it isn't our place to know. His actions before and after the wedding speak for themselves. Why would he let them print a private letter from his daughter? MONEY!!!!!!

More than likely the letter expressed exactly how she felt concerning all of the crazy things that he did right up to the wedding.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson