Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Harry & Meghan's new non-profit name revealed

[ Edited ]

@Linmo wrote:

My opinion is that Meghan and Harry did not plan or foresee leaving their Royal duties when they married.   They wouldn't have gone to the trouble and expense of the Windsor remodel if this was pre-meditated.  I do understand that most of that was paid by the taxpayers, but they also paid for certain upgrades themselves and have agreed to repay the taxpayer money for the cost.   I think that something, which we may never know, happened to make them change course. 

@Linmo  My opinion is that Harry did not plan or foresee leaving their royal duties when they married, but I think it was always an option for Markle.  The remodel went on because she wasn't ready to show her hand...she hadn't totally locked down Harry with a baby.  Once that was done, she felt she had all the cards.. She kept all her "people" from her her previous life...agent, etc.  She had to know she wouldn't be needing them as a senior royal. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I've lived my entire life as an empowered female. And so did my mother who was born in 1920 and lived as an empowered female in the 40s and 50s and 60s when it wasn't so easy. No definition ot catch-phrase needed, just do it!

As for what it means? Well it's a fashionable yerm which H& M (and others) can use to raise money. I say live your life that way and don't make a big fuss about it.
Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

If female empowerment is on their agenda I hope somewhere I can find a description of what that means exactly. Been hearing that phrase used a lot lately, women empowering other women and women doing things that make them feel empowered and so forth but haven't quite gotten a handle on just precisely what it means. Perhaps I'm falling behind the times. 

There are lots of definitions out there. Here's one from the European Institute for Gender Equality.

Women’s empowerment has five components: women’s sense of self-worth; their right to have and to determine choices; their right to have access to opportunities and resources; their right to have power to control their own lives, both within and outside the home; and their ability to influence the direction of social change to create a more just social and economic order, nationally and internationally.

In this context, education, training, awareness raising, building self-confidence, expansion of choices, increased access to and control over resources, and actions to transform the structures and institutions that reinforce and perpetuate gender discrimination and inequality are important tools for empowering women and girls to claim their rights.

Respected Contributor

Perhaps a better plan would be stoping taking money from the British taxpayers.  That would be a step in the right direction.  Right now, British taxpayers are dealing with the covid19 virus and many are out of work.  The royals should do the right thing and stop taking money from people who need it.    The queen is one of the wealthiest women in the world;  I'm sure she would gladly use her private funds to help the family if necessary. 

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
According to the article in Vanity Fair, the new organization will focus on these three of the couple's interests "conservation, female empowerment and gender equality."

Gee that looks to me like one of Harry's interests and two of Meghan's (primarily).
Th

It would seem this is primarily her agenda and, as seems often to be the case, he was, well, whipped... into shape and is following along. All of these are relevant, but in today's world, I'm not sure they're all among the most pressing nor am I sure it makes sense for any newly hatched charitable 'foundation' or whatever this ends up being, to so narrow their scope to two such disparate issues as conservation and women's rights... It's almost like these sounded good in theory... One wonders whatever happened to their concerns about mental health, wounded warriors, animal welfare, African issues and so on... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

It is interesting that after they were informed they could not capitalize on the name "Royal" they turned around and used their infant son's name.  I guess it goes with being supported by others for their bread and butter.  These two are just tiresome and getting boring and predictable.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

It is interesting that after they were informed they could not capitalize on the name "Royal" they turned around and used their infant son's name.  I guess it goes with being supported by others for their bread and butter.  These two are just tiresome and getting boring and predictable.

Their statement (or interview ?) suggests they had this name in mind (were inspired by the Greek work "arche") before they came up with Sussex Royal and before they had their son.  To me it sounded like they were going back to a name they had originally come up with now that Sussex Royal is not an option rather than it being a recent/new decision. 

Trusted Contributor

Harry & Meghan's new non-profit name revealed

It will be interesting to see what the % of the money will be used for administrative costs.

Honored Contributor

Interesting article in today's Daily Mail UK about Harry not having ever held an actual job and maybe feeling adrift in the USA. Not being able to rally round U.K. citizens at home during the COVID crisis like his family is doing, and possibly ending up being Meghan's "plus one" on red carpets. It was written by one of those royal watcher people who has previously written a book about Harry.

Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I will NEVER understand the negatively with which others project onto Harry and Meghan. I hope they make a TON of money....nothing wrong with that...while they also make a TON of money for charity....nothing wrong with that. I hope they make a TON of money by selling photos of their baby - if they want to -and they can do whatever they want with their money.

Think about it....There are some seriously BAD, narcissisitic, nasty public people. Harry and Meghan just aren't in that category - by anyone's standards.

I almost feel embarassed for the folks who bash them so badly because it makes them look so sad....and small.

@Goldengate8361 I honestly don't get your reaction it's inappropriate. Why such a strong reaction to a couple you dont know and will never meet. Very odd 

@manny2, that's been my opinion all along. Smiley Wink

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland