Honored Contributor

Re: Harry & Meghan Launch Own Instagram Account: @Sussexroyal

@Drythe wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Drythe  Apparently, with the separation of Harry and William's households, which was apparently seen as somewhat of a given, Harry and his wife will have a 'court' of their own. However, instead of being independent of the royal family, which was what they wanted, the queen and Charles have decided that their office must operate out of Buckingham Palace and their staff must report to the queen's staff... True or not, I also read that the queen has brought back a trusted advisor to 'keep an eye' on the Sussex office... William and Kate's 'office' will continue to operate out of Kensington palace, where they live... And yes, the queen and Charles foot the royal bill for these 'offices'...

@stevieb 

Thank you, I did understand that.  

Just a bit of irony on my part.

*** Edited to add - Never did I think they would want to be independent enough to give up that lovely Lolly, as the Brits I know call it!

Hello,  @Drythe and @stevieb!    I can't help but wonder if a large part of the desire to have some distance yet continue to concentrate on philanthropic and humanitarian causes is more fueled by Harry's goals (and his history).    I'm far from being expert on this, but based on the documentaries I've seen and on what I've read over time, he's so keenly aware of the work in which his mother was so invested and dedicated but also the constrictions "the firm" placed on her -- perhaps that, at least in part, drives his desire to be a bit more separate.    Since he and Meghan continue to be active as representatives of the royal family (and it's been reported more than once that they're considered to be as busy and active as Princess Anne, who is said to be one of the most hard-working royals)  I'm not sure it would follow that they wouldn't be funded by them as is the tradition.    I can see why people, in general, wonder if the entire concept of "the monarchy" makes any sense in today's world, though.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Should Prince George have children, which is likely, Harry and his children will descend further down the line.

That's the Order of Succession. 

Respected Contributor

@Sushismom   Yes, it is Parliament that votes.  The bill is called the Right of Succession.  parliament required the consent of the Queen before it was brought to a vote.  So, I will change the wording to with the consent of the Queen, Parliament voted to change the Right of Succession.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo  That could certainly be a factor. The reality, though, is that distance from the royal family, as Diana learned, doesn't necessarily equate to more 'freedom'. Once a royal, always, to some extent, a royal and having been born into the family, Harry will always have those ties, no matter how much he and his wife might want to distance themselves, whatever their reasons. One assumes he'd realize that... The exception would seem to have been the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and you'd have to believe that neither Harry nor Markle would want to be perceived as the pariahs that they seemingly were once he abdicated in favor of marrying her. More to the point, it seems, based on what was printed, that Harry and Markle wanted to continue to 'enjoy' having a royal court but without all the royal resctrictions. I guess even among the very well heeled, the adage about not having one's cake and eating it too still applies...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Oh, yipee.

Another "I-hate-MM" thread.

People act as if she is the devil incarnate.

I guess I don't see it that way. Like most public figures, there are those who like her and those who don't. What I'm seeing is a discussion involving both those points of view. Unfortunately, it sometimes seems as though those enamored with her, as a group, appear to want to overstate the feelings of those who aren't. I don't hate Markle, I simply don't care for her and I am not buying what some would consider to be her 'act'... I certainly don't consider her the devil incarnate but neither do I see her as the second coming of Diana or of Mother Teresa...

Smiley Wink

To be fair, after following many of the threads it seems to me the problem isn't one-sided.    The label extremes such as lovers/haters and all the rest do nothing but poke the bear -- they're incendiary.   On either "side."     We do so much better when we "attack" the topic rather than "attacking" each other with personal jabs.     Sure, there are a few who might gush, and wax rapturous, but that's not most of us.    There have been a few who wrote despicable, vile things to which we only can allude...  some of us saw them and can't erase them from memory...  but that's not most of us.    Most of us fall somewhere between the extremes, yet if we post criticism of M&H we're slapped with the "hater" label and if we dare to be complimentary we're plastered with the "adorer/gusher" label.   There's plenty of room for all perspectives, and I wish we could be more receptive to that -- if we would do so, I don't think the threads would dissolve into "poofdom."😉

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@dooBdoo  That could certainly be a factor. The reality, though, is that distance from the royal family, as Diana learned, doesn't necessarily equate to more 'freedom'. Once a royal, always, to some extent, a royal and having been born into the family, Harry will always have those ties, no matter how much he and his wife might want to distance themselves, whatever their reasons. One assumes he'd realize that... The exception would seem to have been the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and you'd have to believe that neither Harry nor Markle would want to be perceived as the pariahs that they seemingly were once he abdicated in favor of marrying her. More to the point, it seems, based on what was printed, that Harry and Markle wanted to continue to 'enjoy' having a royal court but without all the royal resctrictions. I guess even among the very well heeled, the adage about not having one's cake and eating it too still applies...

Excellent points, @stevieb.   Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@stevieb Rumor had it that Andrew requested his daughters have a title, thus Princess.  Edward and his wife requested no title for their children and they are called, Lady........

Princess Anne as well refused titles for her children and her first husband, Mark Phillips, refused one for himself as well.

I agree with you that I cannot see Meghan refusing a title for her child.  I think it is extremely hard especially for an American as well as a minor celebrity to adapt and follow the rules of being a Royal.  Being a modern American woman and accustomed to doing as she pleases without having to answer to anyone is extremely difficult for her.  Whether she will change, only time will tell.

Harry was raised and made very aware of the restraints placed upon a Royal but love changes everything as you pointed out, Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

Meghan is a very strong woman but the position she now holds comes with rules and restraints which I am sure, she does not like, especially at 37 years old.  She is, already, formed unlike Diana who was so young.  Time will tell!

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo  I had a post removed from a former thread about Doria traveling to the UK for the birth. All I posted was that I'd read the baby was due late April and that I didn't think she would leave her job, friends and family to move there to be the nanny. That's all of it, nothing more.

It has me wondering what's acceptable and what isn't.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain  If the entire thread wasn't poofed, I would assume and I could be wrong but I think a "poster" reported your posting as inappropriate.  If that happens, the moderators are required to remove it.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@dooBdoo  I had a post removed from a former thread about Doria traveling to the UK for the birth. All I posted was that I'd read the baby was due late April and that I didn't think she would leave her job, friends and family to move there to be the nanny. That's all of it, nothing more.

It has me wondering what's acceptable and what isn't.

I'm sorry that happened, @occasionalrain.   I don't understand so many of the decisions...  sometimes I think several posts erroneously are caught up in a quick removal.   (Also, some are removed if, instead of using the "reply" at the top of the thread, we use the "reply" on a post that was deleted -- so everything "attached" or linked to the deleted post goes with it).