Honored Contributor

Re: Harry & Meghan Launch Own Instagram Account: @Sussexroyal

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@Drythe   Actually Harry said in a recent interview that he did not think that any child should be asked to walk behind the casket of his mother and that that would not happen today. So he is probably not glad that he had to do this. Prince Charles was sent to a very spartan school Gordonstoun. A place where he was miserable. Prince Philip attended Gordonstoun and insisted that Charles attend this school. When it came time for Charles and Diana's sons to go to boarding school they chose a different school  as Charles did not want his sons to experince what he wnet though. So traditions change and I imagine that Prince Charles and Queen Elizabeth want Harry to be happy.  It doesn't appear that either Harry of Meghan are shirking their royal duties and they have so far represented the Queen very well. 

@50Mickey 

@50Mickey 

I am aware of the history of the whole schooling thing.

Surely most of us here know that traditions change.

As for your last sentence I have NOT said in ANY WAY that they were Shirking, (not a word I used AT ALL), have NOT said that they haven’t represented the queen well.  Where in the world did you get that?

I DID say that it doesn’t seem logical that the Palace would fund them in the future IF they went on to do their OWN message, and choose their own charities without Palace review.

I saw an interview on the BBC in which Harry said he was glad he had walked in the procession for his mother.  Have NEVER seen anywhere that he said he was NOT glad to have done it himself.  Have you?

Do not try to cast me for or against anyone of the royals, because I am not.

Drythe, I recently watched "Secrets of Althorp - The Spencers" on PBS, which was produced in 2014. Harry did indeed make the comments that carrie ann posted about. I think that it was horrible that either of her sons were forced to do that. 

I will make no comment on whether that was right or wrong about Harry and William walking in the funeral procession.

I will say that everyone makes judgment calls and sometimes it is on things we don't really have facts to judge them by.  We all do and ask others to do things that in hindsight aren't maybe the best we could have done.

And too, the Royal Family is often called on to do things that none of the rest of us could imagine doing.  They are in situations where they have to have long days and nights in the public eye, keep a straight face, maintain their composure, and act in ways I can't imagine.  

So it would be hard for me to judge should have/shouldn't have.  I will say, he. will never look back and say "I wish I had walked in respect for my mother."  Maybe in the long run it was worth.  It was a lasting public show of respect, and reminds me of John Kennedy's salute to his father. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I heard on my local news the British press and subjects are not pleased that Harry and Meghan will not do the waving and showing of the baby outside on the hospital steps. Now the couple is free to do what they want, but it seems they’re are breaking with a long tradition of doing this. This will not endear Meghan to the British people. She knew what she was getting into when she became part of the Royal Family, there are certain rules that need to be followed. You need to go along to get along.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I heard on my local news the British press and subjects are not pleased that Harry and Meghan will not do the waving and showing of the baby outside on the hospital steps. Now the couple is free to do what they want, but it seems they’re are breaking with a long tradition of doing this. This will not endear Meghan to the British people. She knew what she was getting into when she became part of the Royal Family, there are certain rules that need to be followed. You need to go along to get along.

It's actually not a long tradition. 

Diana did it, and then Kate and William followed. 

There is no rule stating they need to stand out on the steps with their newborn shortly after giving birth.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

There is no rule stating they need to stand out on the steps with their newborn shortly after giving birth.

@Bri369 @I think I read or heard Princess Anne started the tradition.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Bri369 @I think I read or heard Princess Anne started the tradition.

She may have.

Trusted Contributor

I think with every 'tradition' she challenges or breaks, she's creating more problems for herself, Harry and maybe even, their child.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner   I've also read where Harry said he didn't think he should've had to work behind his mother's casket.

Honored Contributor

LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I suspect as children the boys were not anxious to walk behind Diana en route to her funeral. Perhaps as adults they've rethought it or better understand the reasons for it. My view is that it was an exercise designed to show both a united royal family and, by including Charles and Phillip, an appropriate level of respect for the princess. At the time, there was both such an outpouring of grief for Diana and so much ill-will being directed at the royals immediately after her death, this seemed designed to help ameliorate some of that. I always felt the whole thing was proposed by 'advisors' or maybe even the 'stiff upper lip' Phillip, who appears to dislike everybody.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Sooner   I've also read where Harry said he didn't think he should've had to work behind his mother's casket.

Whatever.  His grandmother has made a life of graciously doing things she probably didn't want to do.  So whatever.